CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241280.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 02:51:11.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- Pointon and Sempringham
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 10652 32896
POINTON CHURCH LANE
TF 13 SW AND SEMPRINGHAM (north side)
5/171 Church of
Parish church. c.1170, mid C14, c.1400, restored and chancel rebuilt 1868-9 by Edward Browning. Uncoursed pale yellow limestone rubble, coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar. Plain tile and slate roofs with coped west gable with kneelers and cross finial. Nave with north aisle and south porch, crossing tower and apsidal chancel. C12 west front with moulded plinth and flanking pilaster buttresses reaching up to string course, with angle shaft on south buttress with cushion capital with Caryatid figure above. Rubble wall beneath string course. Pointed window above, restored in C19, with 3 pointed, cusped lights and hood mould with ornate label stops. 2 human heads in gable above. C12 north aisle to west with moulded plinth, rubble walling reaching up to string course and pilaster angle buttress with angle shaft with cushion capital. Mid C14 window restored in C19, with triangular head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, and breaks through head of pointed fragmentary, blocked C12 window to right. North side of north aisle rebuilt in 1868-9 and extended to cover area of former north transept destroyed in 1788. Regularly placed pilaster buttresses with moulded string course and Lombardic-style corbel table. Doorway to right with semi- circular head, continuous, roll moulded surround, hood mould and plank door. Segmental relieving arch above. Small semi-circular headed window to right with 3 similar windows to the left. East end of north aisle with re-used pilaster buttress with angle shaft with cushion capital, and small semi-circular headed window. C12 crossing tower re-modelled in late C14 with clasping pilaster buttresses, the south-east buttress containing a stair turret with C19 narrow doorway with triangular head, chamfered surround and plank door; 2 slit stair lights above, and 2 grotesque sculpted figures. Late C14 bell openings on all 4 sides, each with pointed head, 2 cusped, pointed lights, mouchettes, hood mould and ornate label stops. Moulded eaves with large corner gargoyles and central corbel heads supporting angular shafts rising to base of central pinnacles. Battlements with 8 ornate pinnacles. C19 apsidal chancel with plinth, moulded string course and Lombardic style corbel table. 4 regularly placed windows, each a lancet with ornate flanking shafts with stiff leaf capitals and hood moulds running into string course. South side with segmental relieving arch. Truncated south transept, destroyed in 1788, with blocked, pointed archway with pointed window inserted with 2 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and re-used C14 label stops. 2 plain roof corbels above and narrow rectangular light. South side of C12 nave restored in C19. Moulded plinth and Lombardic style corbel table. Single tall, narrow semi-circular headed window to east with pilaster buttress to left. Mid C14 window to west with segmental head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights and hood mould. Gabled C19 south porch built over pilaster buttress to left. Plinth, corbel table and small semi-circular headed windows in east and west walls, both with hood moulds running into string course on either side. Round headed south doorway with moulded head and single semi-circular jambs with geometrically decorated scalloped capitals and glazed doors. Porch interior with fine south doorway of c.1170 with 3 orders of shafts with ornate foliate capitals including ribbed leaves, beaded tendrils and incipient waterleaf. Roll moulded, chevron, billet and incised scalloped semi-circular head, with hood mould and ornate label stops. Early C13 door with ornate iron scrollwork. Another C12 doorway re-set in west wall of porch with semi-circular head with tympanum decorated with large fan of scallops, outer orders with beaded ribbon, circle, and petal decoration. Capitals supporting head with ornate, beaded scallop decoration. Aisle to west of porch with pilaster buttresses flanking tall, narrow semi-circular headed window, heightened in Cl9. North arcade of nave of c.1170 of 4 bays. Responds with clusters of keeled shafts. Round pier to west with cruciform abaci and large rectangular pier to east with single keeled shafts to north and south and pairs of small keeled shafts to east and west; round pier beyond with plain scalloped capital. Semi-circular moulded heads in 2 orders with string course above. Easternmost arcade bay with fragmentary remains of red painted decoration on soffit. Late C14 crossing arches to west, north, east and south, all with semi-circular responds, polygonal capitals and abaci and richly moulded, pointed heads. 3 eastern windows of C19 chancel flanked by 6 slender shafts with shaft rings and stiff leaf capitals, and ornate corbel table. C19 roofs. C19 pulpit with traceried panels. 10 ornate late C15 bench ends with rich traceried panels and large, beaded finials; the design copied in C19 for remainder of pews. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels containing blank shields. Medieval chest. Fragments on window ledge of north-west window of north aisle include a gargoyle head, a C15 jug from burial ground and a cresset stone with 7 hollows for holding oil and wicks. Another octagonal font bowl with narrow roll mouldings at each corner. North-west crossing pier with inscription in north side: "Sing Prayses unto the Lord o Ye Sans of His 1581. N. Edone . Sperni.N C.I.EER 6R" and a small carved panel below. In vestry at east end of north aisle, 2 moulded C15 heads of window embedded in wall and 2 fragments of Lombardic style corbel table. C16 wooden altar table. White marble monument with coat of arms on apron to John Hubbard, died 1783.
Listing NGR: TF1065132895
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing