CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1241922
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST MARGARET'S STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241922.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:08:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST MARGARET'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 14887 57741

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/10/2012

TR 1457 NE 4/199 944 3.12.49

ST MARGARET'S STREET (North-west side) Church of St Margaret

II*

Former parish church. C12 in origin but rebuilt in C15 and heavily restored C1850 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Faced with knapped flint with stone dressings and tiled roof. 3 bay nave with chancel reduced to a polygonal apse by Scott for road widening, north and south aisles and south west tower. South west tower has C15 lower stage with clasping buttresses and octagonal turret added by Scott, and squarish bell stage with lancets and crenellated parapet recon- structed after bomb damage in 1942. Nave is C15 restored with west gable end with Decorated style traceried window by Scott and west doorway which is a Scott copy of the Mid C12 doorway with shafts and billet on the hood mould. Aisles are also C15 altered by Scott and have Decorated style windows. Continuous plinth moulding. Interior has 3 bay nave with 4 bay crownpost roof. Aisles have reconstructed octagonal piers and a double wave on the arches. Early C14 piscina in south wall of North chapel. Good monuments including Sir George Newman (d 1627), a large wall monument at east end of south aisle with effigy in legal robes reclining on one side set in architectural surround including columns, open pediment and scrolls flanking the inscription. Joseph Colfe (d 1620) an architectural wall tablet and John Watson (d 1642) in the South wall, a half-figure facing the front in architectural niche wearing a ruff and resting his left hand on a skull. There are a series of good C17 and C18 wall plaques including one to John Barret and Paul Lukin (d 1709) a big architectural tablet with mourning putti signed by John Friend. Brass to John Wynter, twice Mayor of Canterbury (d 1470) in civilian dress. The church was built on the remains of Roman public baths. At first belonging to St Augustine's Abbey the church was given to the Poor Priests Hospital in 1271 in whose hands it remained until 1575. (See BOE "East Kent" P 232 and Canterbury Archaeological Trust pamphlet by Tim Tatton Brown "April 1986)



Listing NGR: TR1488757741

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441202
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 232
Tatton Brown, T, 'Canterbury Archaeological Trust Pamphlet' in Canterbury Archaeological Trust Pamphlet, (1986)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/11963/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M.K Lofthouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].