CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1242066
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242066.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:31:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Kingston on Soar
National Grid Reference:
SK 50184 27742

Details

KINGSTON ON SOAR THE GREEN SK 52 NW (north side) 4/38 Church of St. Winifred 13.10.66 G.V. Parish church. Chancel and chancel aisle c.1540, remainder and restorations 1900 by R. Creed. Ashlar. Plain tile roofs. Parapets to porch, chancel and chancel aisle. Single ridge crosses to porch, east and west nave, east aisle and east chancel. Buttressed and set on a moulded plinth with moulded band extending over, apart from the tower and stair turret which are not buttressed and have a splayed plinth with moulded band over, the vestry lacks the band. South west tower with stair turret to the north east, south aisle, south porch, nave, north vestry, chancel and chancel aisole. Tower of 2 stages with bands. The embattlements are decorated with blind tracery with single large similarly decorated corner crocketed pinnacles to all but the north east and single similar smaller pinnacles to the centre of each side. The west side with single arched light with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Above to west, north and south sides are single arched and cusped lights with hood moulds and label stops. 4 bell chamber openings each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with hood moulds and label stops. Under the south side is a single clock face. Projecting from the north east corner is the embattled stair turret of 3 stages with bands with chamfered arched doorway, 2 small rectangular lights and 2 quatrefoils. The west wall of the nave has a single arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall has a single arched 2 light window with cusped panel tracery, to the left is a single arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery and on the far left a single arched 2 ight window with flowing tracery. All with hood moulds and label stops. To the left is the gabled vestry with chamfered arched doorway, hood mould and label stops in the west wall. The north wall has a single window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with hood mould and label stops. To the left in the north chancel are 2 windows each with 2 arched lights under a flat arch, the continuous hood mould extends to the east chancel and the continuous sill band to the east chancel, east and south chancel aisle walls, being broken by the east chancel window. Over the windows are 4 decorative heraldic plaques. The single central buttress is topped with a damaged decorative finial. Rainwater head here inscribed "1900 B". The east chancel has a single arched window with 5 arched and cusped lights, each cusp terminating in a single orb, the window further decorated with carved.shields. To the right and left are single panels containing decorative shields. Above is a single similar smaller panel. To the left and slightly porjecting is the chancel aisle, the diagonal buttresses terminating in crocketed pinnacles below the parapet. Single central canted bay with single arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, each cusp terminating in a single orb, the window further decorated with carved quatrefoils. In each side wall are single similar lights. Continuous hood mould. Over the central window is a carved lion flanked by single smaller carved figures of beasts. Over the lion in the parapet is a single panel with decorative carved heraldic shield. Either side of the canted bay are single panels with decorative carved heraldic shields. Hood moulds and label stops over each. The south chancel aisle wall has 2 arched 2 light windows treated in a similar manner to those of the east wall. Continuous hood mould over. Over each is a single panel with carved lion. The single central buttress is topped with an heraldic carving. Rainwater head here inscribed "1900 B". The south aisle wall has a single arched 2 light window with flowing tracery, to the left is a single arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery, both with hood moulds and label stops. To the left is the porch with moulded arched entrance hood mould and human head label stops. Over is a single niche with cusped canopy containing a single carved figure. Inner moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Interior. 3 bay nave arcade. Piers and responds consist of 4 colonnettes alternating with 4 engaged octagonal piers. Moulded arches. Moulded tower arch. Moulded aisle/chancel aisle arch with similar responds to the nave arcade. Similar chancel arch, responds however with stiff-leaf capitals, hood mould and human head label stops. Between chancel and chancel aisle is the extraordinary and elaborate Babington monument. 4 piers, the bases and shafts decorated with blind tracery, carved heads, figures and figures set into hexagonals, capitals decorated with babes and tons and open tracery, support a large and elaborate arched canopy with single corner crocketed pinnacles further decorated with blind tracery. The canopy decorated with angels holding shields, foliate, babes and tons and blind and open tracery. The vaulted roof with blind tracery and pendant bosses. The east side decorated with a representation of The Last Judgement. To the left, linking the monument to the east wall of the nave is a depressed arch supported on moulded corbels. The soffits decorated with foliate. Cornice surmounted by large panel decorated with a coat of arms. Mounted on to the west wall is a carved panel decorated with lions holding a shield with carvings of children and tons, further decorated with fleur de lys and Tudor roses. Above is a single panel decorated with blind shields and blind tracery. The north wall of the chancel has a tripartite sedilia consisting of moulded arches supported on 2 colonnettes with continuous hood mould and 2 human head label stops. To the left is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould. Alabaster reredos with blind tracery, alabaster font. The east windows of chancel and chancel aisle are treated in a similar mode to their exteriors. Reveal of chancel aisle window further decorated with elaborate blind tracery. The chancel and chancel aisle roofs with C16 moulded beams and carved bosses, further decorated with blind tracery and carved angels. The tower has 3 C19 monuments. In the chancel aisle is a copper plaque inscribed "The nave, aisle and tower of this church were erected and the chancel and chancel aisle restored A.D.1900 by Henry Lord Belper in memory of his son William Strutt born Feb.8th. 1875, died Oct.5th 1898".

Listing NGR: SK5018427742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441417
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16094/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].