CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1242414
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242414.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:22:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Shepway (District Authority)
Parish:
Swingfield
National Grid Reference:
TR 23285 43423

Details

TR 24 SW SWINGFIELD THE STREET (north side)

5/195 Church of St. Peter 29.12.66 GV I

Parish church. C13, possibly with late Cll or C12 origins, and C15. Restored 1870. Knapped flint with stone dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, slightly narrower chancel, north aisle to nave. West tower: late C15. Three stages, on chamfered stone plinth. Diagonal north-west and south-west buttresses. Plain parapet above a moulded string. Pyramidal slate roof with weathervane. Belfry windows of two pointed-arched lights and sexfoil. No other openings to north or south. Small rectangular brick west window towards top of lowest stage, with stone west lancet, with hoodmould, under it. Low hollow-chamfered pointed-arched west doorway in shallow hollow-chamfered rectangular recess. Circular south-east stair turret, taller than tower, with plain parapet and slit lights. Nave: south elevation: two buttresses. Untraceried straight-headed C15 window with two cinquefoil-headed lights and hoodmould, towards west end. Straight- headed window with two trefoil-headed lights to east of porch, and tall plain-chamfered pointed lancet. Two stone corbels under eaves. South porch: C14 or C15. Vertical boarding to gable. Probable evidence for durns to outer doorway. Roof with chamfered rectangular crown posts. Pointed- arched C13 inner doorway of two orders, the inner with rounded edges, the outer plain-chamfered, below a moulded impost. Roll moulding to outer order above impost, and scroll-moulded hoodmould. Two scratch dials. Chancel: C13. Roughly-coursed knapped flint almost chequered with blocks of stone. Diagonal north-east and south-east buttresses. Two plain-chamfered pointed south lancets, and two to north. Three stepped individual east lancets with oculus window above. North aisle: 1870. Lean-to roof. Four pointed north lancets. Very small round-headed east window of late Cll or C12 appearance Similar west window but with stone head channelled to represent arch and voussoirs. Interior: structure: four-bay C19 north arcade to nave, in a C13 or C14 style, with doubly plain-chamfered pointed arches and alternating circular and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. C19 doubly plain-chamfered chancel arch, dying into walls. Tall, pointed C13 tower arch, plain-chamfered, with broach stops. Four-centred-arched chamfered doorway with broach stops, to tower stairs. Roof: crown-post roof to nave, with five slender moulded octagonal crown posts, ashlar pieces, and scissor braces trenched past collars, and past each other above. At each end, crown post is raised on a low secondary collar, with ogee braces between the collar and tie-beam. Scissor braces a relatively unusual survival in this area. Collared common rafter roof to chancel with sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and five tie-beams. Fittings: aumbry with broad, chamfered pointed arch towards east end of south wall of chancel. Larger, similar, unchamfered aumbry towards east end of north wall. Octagonal font with chamfered base. floor. Monuments: three large black stone tablets to nave floor. One to Mr Stephen Pilcher, d.1755, with roundel and achievements. Another similar, to Martha Pilcher, d.1750. One to John Simons, d.1677, with incised arms in spreading foliage. (J. Newman, North-east and East Kent, 1983 edn.)

Listing NGR: TR2246042965

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441802
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11816/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].