Church of All Saints

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1242423
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Lane, Thrumpton

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242423.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 19:21:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Lane, Thrumpton

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Thrumpton
National Grid Reference:
SK 50974 31162

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 05/06/2019

SK 53 SW 2/115 THRUMPTON CHURCH LANE (east side) Church of All Saints

13.10.66

GV II* Parish church. C13, C15, extensively restored 1871 by G.E. Street. Ashlar, some dressed coursed rubble. Plain tile roofs with decorative ridges. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and east chancel. Single stack to vestry. Set on a chamfered plinth to all but the south west nave and buttressed apart from the tower. Tower, nave, north organ chamber and vestry and chancel.

C13 dressed coursed rubble embattled tower set on a low chamfered plinth, of two stages with bands and ashlar quoins. The west and south walls with single C13 lancets, the north wall with single smaller lancet. Four arched two-light bell chamber openings. The north nave wall, of dressed coursed rubble to the west, has a single restored C14 window with three arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. Below is an arched tomb recess commemorating those who died in the 1914-18 war, with a reclining effigy of a soldier. The memorial dates to 1924. It specifically commemorates three soldiers from the area who were killed in action although it is also a memorial to those killed in both the First and Second World Wars. It comprises a recessed sepulchre with a recumbent soldier in uniform lying within, holding a cross to his chest and with his head lying on a pillow and his feet resting on his cap. The arch of the recess is moulded and enriched with carved roses. In the left spandrel is a carved depiction of St George slaying a Dragon, which is itself carved in the right spandrel. There is an inscription carved on the left panel in the back of the recess which reads: IF YE SUFFER FOR/ RIGHTOUSNESS SAKE/ HAPPY ARE YE. The right hand panel contains the three names of the soldiers. The panels are flanked by carved foliate decoration and the regimental badges of the three soldiers which are affixed to the back of the memorial.

To the left is a double chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. Further left are two restored C15 windows each with two cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch. Projecting from the north wall of the chancel is the gabled organ chamber set on a chamfered plinth. The west wall has a single cinquefoil arched light, below a single flight of steps leads to an arched doorway. The north wall has a single pair of trefoil arched lights and to the left a moulded arched doorway. To the left is the vestry with single pair of trefoil arched lights in the east wall.

The north wall of the C19 chancel has a continuous band forming a sill band to the east and south chancel windows. The east chancel with C19 arched three-light window with cusped flowing tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. The south chancel has two C19 two-light windows both with cusped tracery under a flat arch, that on the left being larger. The south nave has three restored C15 windows each with two cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch. To the right of the left window is a chamfered arched doorway with hood mould.

Interior: triple chamfered tower arch. Moulded chancel arch supported on quatrefoil responds with moulded capitals and fillets to the single central shafts. Decorative wrought iron screen under. Moulded organ chamber/chancel arch supported on engaged columns with fillets and moulded capitals. The north chancel wall with two bay aumbry with single central colonnette and two trefoil arches. The south wall has a low ashlar sill to the east window forming a sedilia. Reredos decorated with carved figures, this, the organ case, pulpit, decorated with blind tracery, and similar font are by Street. Remaining furniture C19. Projecting from the south wall of the nave is a stair turret with chamfered arched doorway.

On the north nave wall is a memorial to John Wescomb Emmerton Wescomb, 1838, this has a Gothick surround. That to John Emmerton Wescomb Emmerton, 1823, is set into an arched recess with marble surround and has a sarcophagus below the inscription and a crest over. The memorial to John and Thomas Emmerton, 1745, has an oval inscription tablet surrounded by a garland and with crest over, the apron has a further inscription and the crown a shield. The south nave wall has a bulbous oval alabaster tablet to Winifred Coppindale, 1648. In the south chancel is a good large memorial to Gervase Pigot, 1669, restored 1950. Large rectangular inscription tablet surmounted by a band of shields. Either side are single angels supported on corbels, these hold back curtains over the inscription. Apron decorated with a stylised tree and carved fruit.

Listing NGR: SK5097431162

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441813
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14460/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].