CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1242740
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242740.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:13:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 21821 86408

Details

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE CHURCH ROAD (south side) West Kirby

4/11 Church of 5/6/53 St. Bridget

- II

Church. C14 masonry, heavily restored, remains to chancel, vestry east bay and north aisle. West tower 1492-1530 . Restoration, south aisle and vestry west bay, 1869-70. By Kelly and Edwards. Stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower, chancel, north chapel and vestry. Tower has 2 diagonal buttresses. West entrance has arch with spandrel quatrefoils and splayed reveals, the jambs panelled, the lintel with armorial bearings and flowers; label mould. 3- light Perpendicular west window paired 2-light bell openings. Cornice and embattled parapet with tracery panels. North aisle has 3:4:3-light square-headed windows with cusped lights between deep weathered buttresses. Gabled timber-framed porch. South aisle has 3-light Decorated windows to west, south and east. Chancel has 5- light east window, the tracery head has superimposed cusped arches, a rare type (renewed). 3-light windows to south between deep, weathered buttresses. Chapel has 4-light window, square-headed with transom, and square-headed north windows, one now obscured by vestry. Vestry east bay under lean-to roof, west bay gabled with stack to west. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers; arch-braced roof on angel corbels, with wind braces. Flat-topped dormers, not visible on exterior. Chancel arch has low wrought iron screen and rood on overthrow, by C.E. Kempe Above arch are relief figures of angels on stencilled ground also by Kempe. West organ loft (moved from chapel), case by Douglas and Fordham. C19 font, circular, with relief decoration and traceried canopy. Canted pulpit has quatrefoils with relief decoration. Chancel has waggon-boarded roof and 3-bay north trefoil-headed arcade with wrought iron parclose screen. Altar and timber reredos, re-used roof from Chester cathedral. 2 sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Stalls have traceried bench ends. C17 bench ends in chapel. 2 windows in chancel are c.1860. 19 windows by Kempe illustrating the development of his style from 1870 to 1906-7.

Listing NGR: SJ2182186408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
443633
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05040/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].