This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1242748



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wirral

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 443648

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for:-

HOYLAKE SJ 28 NW HILL BARK ROAD (South side) 4/27 Frankby Hill Bark

II The grade shall be amended to read:-

SJ 28 NW HILL BARK ROAD (South side) 4/27 Frankby Hill Bark



SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE HILL BARK ROAD (south side) Frankby

4/27 Hill Bark 5.6.63

- II

House, now old people's home. 1891, re-erected 1929-31. By Grayson and Ould. Timber frame on stone base with brick and stone stacks and stone slate roof. U-plan with service wing to north. Decorative timber-frame panels, good carved details, inscriptions and bargeboards. East facade has return wings forming courtyard. Central 2-storey gabled porch. Recessed gabled bay to left and 2 polygonal bays to angle (c.f Little Moreton Hall Cheshire) which have gablets, both these bays and porch have coved jetties. Large gabled bay to right of porch and smaller recessed gabled bay. Left return has large brick and stone lateral stack with twisted shafts and fire windows. Right return of 4 bays has 2 projecting bays, one with jettied gabled half-dormers, one jettied arch gabled. End bay of 3 storeys with jettied upper floor and gabled half-dormer. Gable end of left wing has coved jettied 1st floor and gable; 1st floor oriel. Windows generally have ovolo mullions and transoms. North wing of 4 bays, the 1st 2 of 3 storeys with 2nd floor oriels and gables, end 2 bays of 2 storeys, jettied 1st floor and gables. Left return has large lateral stack with stone panelling, some timber traceried windows to 1st and 2nd bays, 3rd bay projects, 1st floor oriel with rich carving; end 3 bays have richly carved half-dormers. Right return simpler with shingling and lateral stack. Rear has 2 gabled bays, 3rd bay projects with return lateral stack and rectangular bay window, 4th gabled bay has large 12-light window to rear hall. End 2 bays have canted bays and jettied gable 1st floors with oriels. Decorative lead guttering and down pipes. Interior has great hall with organ gallery and open roof. Chimney piece dated C15. Linenfold panelling to organ and Morris and Co. window, 1984, open screen beneath gallery. Panelled hall has stair with twisted balusters. Many good fireplaces and panelling. Billiard room (now partitioned) and library have plaster ceilings. Originally built as Bidston Court at Bidston but dismantled and re-erected at present site 1929-31 by Rees and Holt.

Listing NGR: SJ2485685883

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 24373 85749


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242748 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 08:31:29.

End of official listing