This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RIPPLESIDE CEMETERY CHAPEL AND GATES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RIPPLESIDE CEMETERY CHAPEL AND GATES

List entry Number: 1242922

Location

RIPPLESIDE CEMETERY CHAPEL AND GATES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Barking and Dagenham

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Mar-2011

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 508163

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Rippleside Cemetery Chapel is recommended for designation for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: a distinctive and well-composed cemetery chapel, designed as a scaled-down parish church, which forms the focal point in the landscape * Interior: the interior is little altered and retains most of its orginal fittings and attractive late-Victorian glass; the hammer-beam roof is an elaborate feature in a cemetery chapel

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



971/0/10026 Rippleside Cemetery Chapel and Gates 16-MAR-11

II Cemetery chapel. Built 1886 by the Burial Board of the Parish of St Margaret Barking. Architect Charles J Dawson.

MATERIALS: Ragstone with ashlar dressings, some flint chequerwork; clay tile roof.

PLAN: The chapel is aligned north-east/south-west; the plan, described liturgically, comprises a three-bay nave with a large porch in the easternmost bay; a lower, single-bay chancel; a north-west tower and adjacent vestry.

EXTERIOR: Perpendicular style, designed as a scaled-down parish church. The gabled Tudor-style porch is timber-framed on a stone plinth, with an arched entrance and open mullion-and-transom windows to the front and sides. The doorway has a four-centred arch set in a square-headed surround with dripmoulds and lozenge stops, and vertical boarded doors with decorative hingework. The tower, reminiscent of that to the parish church of St Margaret, Barking, is in two stages separated by a broad band of flint chequerwork, and has diagonal buttresses and a taller octagonal stair turret with open lights at the top. The doorway is identical to that of the main entrance. The north and west faces of the upper stage each have a four-centred arched window with paired cusped cinquefoil lights. The nave has a large west window with perpendicular tracery. The upper gable is faced in chequerwork and has a narrow window. The other nave windows are mullioned and transomed with dripmoulds and cusped cinquefoil heads to the upper lights; the chancel has a pair of identical windows. On the north and south sides of the chancel is an entrance with glazed panelled doors.

INTERIOR: The nave has a hammer-beam roof with moulded drop finials and enriched ribs and purlins; the chancel a plain-boarded ceiling. The broad chancel arch with wrought-iron screen. The nave floor has encaustic tiles; the chancel floor red and black tiles in a chequered pattern. The west window has eight stained-glass panels depicting the four authors of the Gospels: Isaiah, Peter, Paul and Jeremiah. The remainder depict episodes in the life of Christ and the saints. One commemorates the only daughter of Hugh Herbert Mason, Chairman of the Burial Board, who died in 1896 aged 13. There is a timber pulpit in the north-east corner of the nave, with panelled sides and stone steps.

HISTORY: Rippleside Cemetery was opened in 1886 by the Burial Board of the Parish of St Margaret Barking. Charles J Dawson (1850-1933) was surveyor to Barking Local Board from 1883, and to Barking Town Urban District Council from 1895,. He designed a number of public buildings in Barking including the Public Offices and Library, East Street (1893), as well as several schools in Barking and adjacent districts. He also restored the parish church of St Margaret, Barking.

SOURCES: Cherry, B, O'Brien, C and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: London 5: East' (2005) RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 Vol. 1 (2001)

REASON FOR DESIGNATION: Rippleside Cemetery Chapel is designated for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: a distinctive and well-composed cemetery chapel, designed as a scaled-down parish church, which forms the focal point in the landscape * Interior: the interior is little altered and retains most of its orginal fittings and some attractive late-Victorian glass; the hammer-beam roof is an elaborate feature in a cemetery chapel

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 46124 83953

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2017 at 06:33:51.

End of official listing