CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1242960
Date first listed:
15-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242960.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:31:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Stafford (District Authority)
Parish:
Marston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 92104 27702

Details

MARSTON

603/16/1 CHURCH OF ST LEONARD 15-JAN-68

II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of 1794 by W. Dudley, with vestry added late C19 or early C20.

MATERIALS: Ashlar local grey sandstone, chancel of hand-moulded brick, tile roofs. Some of the masonry has been re-used.

PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, north vestry, west porch, west bellcote

EXTERIOR: The nave has 3 large round-headed south windows, and blank north side with a single buttress. The brick porch has diagonal buttresses and a 4-centred arch to a ribbed door. A simple gabled timber bellcote has louvres in each face. The chancel has a round-headed east window. On the north side the vestry has a 2-light small-pane casement window.

INTERIOR: The plain interior has flat plaster ceilings and plastered round-headed chancel arch. Walls are plastered. The floor is laid with tiles, with parquet floors below benches.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The alabaster font and lectern form a pair, dated 1933. Other fixtures are also probably earlier C20, including plain benches, pulpit with open Gothic tracery, and communion rail with a frieze of quatrefoils. The east and one south window are by William Pearce of Birmingham of the early C20; the former depicts the Good Shepherd.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: A tub font with C19 tool marks survives in the churchyard.

HISTORY: The church was built in 1794 by William Dudley, possibly re-using older masonry for the nave. The brick porch and chancel have pecked surfaces, suggesting that they were intended to be rendered. A vestry was added in the late C19 or early C20. Fittings belong to the early C20.

SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, 1974, p 202.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Leonard, Marston, is listed Grade II for the following principal reasons: * For the architectural interest of a well-preserved small, simple late C18 village church.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
443943
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16998/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].