SCARBOROUGH RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1243452
Date first listed:
08-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
SCARBOROUGH RAILWAY STATION, WESTBOROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCARBOROUGH RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1243452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 13:34:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCARBOROUGH RAILWAY STATION, WESTBOROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 03905 88295

Details

WESTBOROUGH 1. 1605 (South Side) Scarborough Railway Station TA 0388 3/364

II

The description shall be amended to read:

2. 1845 by G T Andrews. 3 2-bay single storey pedimented pavilions, recessed brick blocks of 9 windows. Ashlar with moulded cornice. Low slate roof. Achitrave surrounds to windows, panelled on pavilions with cornices over. console brackets to sills. The centre pavilion has 1882 addition of elaborate baroque clock tower with lead dome. Glazed roof added between pavilions over pavement. Projecting later 4 window office block added to west with architrave framed sashes. The east end of Station facing Valley Bridge Road is of 5 bays divided by rusticated piers, the frieze cornice and blocking course breaking forward over them. Moulded sill course. 3 architrave surround round headed large windows with fixed glazing bars and 2 doorways in similar surrounds, upper parts glazed as windows. The passenger train shed, comprising platforms 3, 4 and 5, retains the original G T Andrews roof structure, a unique survival for a station of this size. The wood and glass roof is supported by the walls and a central row of cast-iron columns with broad curved girders, light iron trusses carrying the roof structure across the two aisles so formed. The two adjacent sheds covering platforms 6, 7 and 8 respectively, were probably the original Andrews goods station. Nos 6 - 7 have a light iron truss roof structure carried on the flanking walls similar to the passenger shed and No 8 platform has a timber king post roof also carried on walls. On the wall of the former station buffet is a polychrome tile map of the North Eastern Railway network circa 1903, a particularly fine example of its kind.

------------------------------------

1. WESTBOROUGH 1605 (South Side) Scarborough Railway Station TA 0388 3/364

II

2. 1845 by G T Andrews. 3 2-bay single storey pedimented pavilions, recessed brick blocks of 9 windows. Ashlar with moulded cornice. Low slate roof. Architrave surrounds to windows, panelled on pavilions with cornices over, console brackets to sills. The centre pavilion has 1882 addition of elaborate Baroque clock tower with lead dome. Glazed roof added between pavilions over pavement. Projecting later 4 window office block added to west with architrave framed sashes, The east end of station facing Valley Bridge Road is of 5 bays divided by rusticated piers, the frieze cornice and blocking course breaking forward over them. Moulded sill course 3 architrave surround round headed large windows with fixed glazing bars and 2 doorways in similar surrounds, upper parts glazed as windows.

Listing NGR: TA0390588295

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
447308
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03234/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].