CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1244068

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE, BOSTON ROAD W7

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 10:01:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE, BOSTON ROAD W7

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Ealing (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 15993 79352

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: BOSTON ROAD, W7 TQ 17 NE (west side) 962-/5/10029 Church of St Thomas the Apostle

II*

Anglican church. 1933-34 by Edward Maufe. Silver-grey Tondi brick with red bands and Weldon stone dressings, internal vault of reinforced concrete. Seven-bay nave with passage aisles, one-bay chancel and one-bay sanctuary with south vestries, and north chapel and children's corner, the latter under square tower. Exterior with pointed lancet windows to main church, and square-headed casements to lady chapel and vestries. Lancet openings to tower with spear-head glazing, symbolic of St Thomas. East end, facing road, dominated by Eric Gill's Calvary, whose cross forms the glazing pattern of the circular east window. Foundation stone laid 8 July 1933 by the Earl of Jersey. Two entrance doors on north side, severely pointed, with panelled doors in stone surrounds, one with carving of a dove, the other a pair of birds, both by Vernon Hill. Rippled copper plates to doors; plaque with Maufe's 'seal' to left. The interior is cool and refined, yet full of interest. Concrete groin vault over rendered buttresses cut through with lancets to form passage aisles. The eastern and western bays of nave narrower than the rest. West window with finely detailed glass by Moira Forsythe, behind octagonal font of Weldon stone carved with fish, anchor and symbols by Vernon Hill, with cover of oak and ivory. Pendant electoliers, with symbols of the twelve apostles, part of Maufe's design. The flooring of blue and yellow linoleum, an original feature, in nave and chapels except where noted. Arches either side of chancel denote narrow cross-axes leading south to vestries and north to side door and chapels. Chancel and sanctuary raised, with floors of travertine. Reading desk and pulpit to either side under arch. Chancel with choir stalls set in front of screens of angels by James Woodford. Organ by Hedgeland brought from St Thomas's, Portman Square. Sanctuary with low oak railings, and sedilia with acutely-pointed arches characteristic of Maufe's work. Altar designed in 1911 by Cecil Hare brought from St Thomas's, Portman Square. Lancet openings to either side lead to small east chapel. The side chapels are particularly low, richly detailed spaces, in contrast to the coolness and height of the body of the church. Children's corner under tower separated by timber screen from passage; carvings by James Woodford depict flesh, fruit, fish, a flower and fowl. Painted reredos incorporating local scenes by E Starling. Statue of St Christopher by Vernon Hill. Stained glass by Moira Forsythe. Lady chapel, formerly Morning Chapel, with flat roof divided by low beams and decorated by Katherine Roberts. Painted altar rails to 'English' altar. Stoop in narrow south-east window. Statue of Our Lady by Vernon Hill. All Hill's statues carved of Weldon stone. St Thomas's was paid for from the demolition of St Thomas's, Portman Square, of 1858 by P C Hardwick. This may explain the exceptional lavishness of its design and decoration. Maufe produced this church whilst he was working on designs for Guildford Cathedral, and it demonstrates a working out in miniature of many of his ideas for that building. Because of its smaller scale and more rapid completion it has been considered the more successful work. Sources: Architects' Journal, 15 March 1934, pp.383-7; RIBA Journal, 24 March 1934, pp.524-9.

Listing NGR: TQ1599379352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 448803

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Royal Institute of British Architects Journal' in 24 March, (1934), 524-529
'Architects Journal' in 15 March, (1934), 383-387

End of official listing