OLD LANE MILL RAWSON'S MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1244144

Date first listed: 12-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: OLD LANE MILL, OLD LANE

Statutory Address: RAWSON'S MILL, OLD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD LANE MILL
RAWSON'S MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 16:01:53.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD LANE MILL, OLD LANE

Statutory Address: RAWSON'S MILL, OLD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 08617 26341

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD LANE SE 0826 SE 679-/10/10059 (West side) Old one Mill, or Rawson's Mill GV 11* Worsted mill. 1825-28. Built for James Ackroyd, and acquired by the Rawson family in 1836. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and corrugated asbestos roof 6 storeys plus attic. L-plan. 15 by 5 windows, with projecting 4 window wing to right. Classical style. South front has to left a tall, segment headed, engine house window, with rusticated ashlar surround. To the right 9 windows on 3 floors, and above 11 windows on 3 further floors. Projecting office and stair wing to right, with a large loading entrance with rusticated ashlar surround, flanked by single blocked windows, above 4 windows to each of the 5 floors. This wing is topped by a plain pediment with a circular clock face. East front 5 windows, plus 2 windows. To the left 2 windows to each floor, to the right the 5 window gabled front has a central row of 7 loading doors, with 2 windows on eitherside, apart from the top floor in the gable which has single flanking windows. North front has 7 windows eitherside of the central projecting, canted latrine tower. Interior: has iron "fire proof' construction. 2 rows of circular iron columns support cast iron beams of parabolic web, parallel flange inverted "T" section design. These support shallow brick arches and stone flagged floors. The roof has 14 cast iron, arched trusses. Each truss is made up of 4 sections bolted together, and they support cast iron purlins and cast iron common rafters which are racked to support original wooden laths. The engine house occupies the full width of the mill, at the west end, with panelled reveal to the window and a decorative plaster ceiling. A large semi-circular recess once housed the large flywheel. This building is listed because it is the oldest and largest surviving example of a multi-storey, steam-powered, iron-framed textile mill in the important textile centre of Halifax, it is probably also the best preserved example for its date in Yorkshire.

Listing NGR: SE0861726341

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 447661

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing