CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1244156
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CAMDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244156.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:25:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CAMDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28985 83993

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/01/2016

TQ2883NE 798-1/76/157

CAMDEN, CAMDEN ROAD (North side), Church of St Michael

10/06/54

II*

Church. Nave & aisles 1880-1, chancel 1893-4 by GF Bodley and T Garner. Vestries added 1908. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings; tiled roof. 7-bay aisled nave with clerestory and sanctuary. Decorated Gothic style. North-south orientated. EXTERIOR: entrance on (liturgical) north facade, where tower originally intended. Liturgical west end fronting road with pointed 5-light traceried window above which a belfry in the gable apex; stone and brick bands flanking window and clasping buttresses at angles. Flanking aisle ends with pointed 2-light traceried windows, right hand with ogee doorway and hood-mould. Flying buttresses over aisles, above which a pointed 3-light traceried window to each bay. Projecting vestries at (liturgical) south-east corner. INTERIOR: of stone with continuous, stenciled waggon roof to nave and chancel, vaulted above north chapel, from liturgical east to west broken by stone arches (necessitating the external flying buttresses). 5-bay nave with aisles, 3-bay chancel with shorter north chapel, south chancel aisle filled by organ and passage to vestries. No chancel arch, a manner much preferred by Bodley in his later churches. Chancel retains altar from 1880-1, reredos bears stencil work from 1880-1 and a later (probably 1939) decorative scheme of Christ in Majesty, set on Bodley's favourite marble steps; sedilia on south wall. Brass in chancel floor to Edward Bainbridge Reynolds (1844-1907), founding incumbent, 1908. Parclose screen between chancel and chapel of 1893-4, filled with stone tracery to Bodley's design in 1898. Chapel with Easter sepulchre having gilded canopy and hanging lamp, altar and reredos with marble panels. Organ in south aisle purchased 1932. The church given dado panelling to Bodley's characteristic design in 1893-4; this links the new and old work. Reading desk (undated) and pulpit (1910) on line of chancel steps. Statue of St Michael, 1939. Floor is several steps below the level of Camden Road, with stone flags to aisles. Vestries in more perpendicular style. Clergy vestry panelled with vestment chests. The choir vestry simpler - retained vestry chest at time of listing, but now no longer in situ. HISTORICAL NOTE: the "beauty of proportion and whiteness" of the interior determined the young Ninian Comper (later a pupil of Bodley) to become an architect. An intended massive tower was never built. Listed grade II* for interior.

(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 137).



Listing NGR: TQ2898583993

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476823
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 137

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16283/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jason Wen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].