FORMER WORKING MAST HOUSE BUILDING NUMBER 26

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1244509
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
FORMER WORKING MAST HOUSE BUILDING NUMBER 26, GREAT BASIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WORKING MAST HOUSE BUILDING NUMBER 26
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244509 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 21:58:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER WORKING MAST HOUSE BUILDING NUMBER 26, GREAT BASIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 90874 74922

Details

TQ 9074 GREAT BASIN ROAD Sheerness Dockyard 93/6/10004 Former working mast house, Building Number 26

II*

Mast and boat house, now store. 1821-26, by Edward Holl, architect for the Navy Board, and John Rennie Snr, engineer. Yellow stock brick with slate hipped roof and internal iron frame. Rectangular open plan. EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 14x10-window range. North and east fronts have a ground-floor arcade of round arches with rubbed brick heads and iron fanlights, most altered or replaced, and rubbed brick flat heads to first-floor windows, larger hoist doors to the N side, 8112-pane metal tilting casement to the E; S front has ground-floor round-arched openings within recesses, blocked to the ends. E elevation obscured by later building, has wide flat-headed openings with large cast-iron lintels dated 1825, some containing double doors with small-paned lights above. Plat band, cornice and parapet. INTERIOR: contains an internal frame of ground-floor cast-iron columns with diagonal cruciform struts supporting longitudinal beams with parabolic bottom flanges, with lateral beams bolted along the sides, all with curved top profiles, with sockets in the sides holding joists, supporting timber boards. Upper floor has similar columns and braces bolted to valley beams, with 5-bay roof with trusses of cast-iron ties and struts with king and princess rods; 2 central bays have glazed ridges and the central area of first floor opened, all probably C20. A stair in the rear leads down to the culvert with iron gates formerly leading to the mast pond. HISTORY: one of two matching buildings used for constructing and storing masts and small boats, either side of a central mast pond, the second store and the pond now demolished and filled in. Built above a mast tunnel culvert leading from the river to underground vaults for storing masts under water, the latter also apparently filled in. The frame is part of an important strain in the early C19 development of metal and fire-proof structural systems, devised by Holl and used at the Devonport Ropery (1815), Chatham Lead Mills (1818) and subsequently Archway House, Sheerness (1825). The 1813 New Tobacco Warehouse, London (II*), used a similar system of diagonal cast-iron braces though to a timber roof. One of the last surviving dock buildings from Rennie's planned dockyard, and one of only two examples of a once-common naval building type. (Sources: Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851:41; Sheerness, The Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995: NMR BI NO 93279).



Listing NGR: TQ9087474922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476729
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995)
Rennie, J, The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours, (1851), 41

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].