This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1244548



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2981NE BEDFORD SQUARE 798-1/99/78 (West side) 24/10/51 Nos.28-38 (Consecutive) and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: BEDFORD SQUARE Nos.1-54 (Consecutive))


Includes: Nos.26, 26A AND 27 MORWELL STREET. Terrace of 11 houses forming the west side of a square. 1776-1781. All built by W Scott and R Grews; perhaps designed either by Thomas Leverton or Robert Palmer; for the Bedford Estate. Nos 28-36 form a symmetrical terrace. Yellow stock brick with evidence on most of the houses of tuck pointing. Plain stucco band at 1st floor level. The centre house, No.32, is stuccoed. Slate mansard roofs with dormers and tall slab chimney-stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and basements. 3 windows each. Recessed round-headed entrances with Coade stone vermiculated intermittent voussoirs and bands; mask keystones. Enriched impost bands and cornice-heads to doors. Side lights to panelled doors, some 2-leaf. Fanlights, mostly radial patterned. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes, most with glazing bars. The following have cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows: Nos 29 & 30, 32-36 & 38. Cornice and parapets, Nos 28 & 36 with balustraded parapets. INTERIORS not inspected save for Nos 34-36, but noted to contain original stone stairs with cast and wrought-iron balusters of various scroll designs, decoration and features; special features as mentioned: No.28: 3 window return to Bayley Street, 1 blind. Rear elevation with full height bow. Major renovation in 1910. 3 plaster ceilings, one dating from the renovation. No.29: rear elevation with full height canted bay, bowed internally. A plaster ceiling. No.30: rear elevation with full height bowed bay. Fine ceilings, one with painted cameos. No.31: rear elevation with full height bowed bay. 2 fine ceilings. No.32: rusticated ground floor; 4 Ionic pilasters rise through the 1st and 2nd storeys to support a frieze, with roundels above each pilaster, and pediment with delicate swag and roundel enrichment on the tympanum. At 2nd floor level a continuous enriched band running behind the pilasters.

Entrance of Doric columns supporting an entablature beneath the fanlight; double panelled doors. Rear elevation with full height bowed bay. INTERIOR detailing and joinery particularly good. No.33: rear elevation with full height bowed bay. Internal distyle-in-antis screen with capitals derived from the Athenian Tower of the Winds. Plaster ceiling. No.37: rear elevation with full height bowed bay. Original wine cellar in the basement. No.38: a late C19 timber staircase. Some houses with original lead rainwater heads and pipes. Nos 34 and 35 acquired by the Architectural Association - Britain's first full-time school of architecture - in 1917, whose Head and, from 1920, Director of Education, was Robert Atkinson. In 1919-21 he made many alterations and added studios to the rear, which latter are of very austere design. Ground floor and first-floor front rooms made into one, now respectively lecture room and library, with missing mouldings to No.34 matched up with those surviving in No.35. This includes first-floor ceiling to No.34. First-floor library is a war memorial, with fitted bookcases by Atkinson and a memorial tablet to fallen members, unveiled 1921 and recarved after 1945 to commemorate both World Wars. No.35 has no staircase, but retains some fireplaces and original mouldings. Both houses have rear elevations with full-height bowed bays. No.36 also with full-height bowed bay to rear. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with urn or torch flambe finials. Most houses with good wrought-iron foot scrapers. HISTORICAL NOTE: the houses in Bedford Square form a most important and complete example of C18 town planning. Built as a speculation, it is not clear who designed all the houses. Leverton was a country house architect and may have been involved with only the grander houses; he lived at No.13 (qv). Palmer was the Bedford Estate surveyor and may be responsible for the vagaries of the square. The majority of the plots leased by the estate were taken by Robert Grews, a carpenter, and William Scott, a brickmaker. No.35 was the residence of Thomas Wakley, reformer & founder of The Lancet, also of Thomas Hodgkin, physician, reformer & philanthropist (LCC/ GLC plaques). No.36 was acquired by the Architectural Association in 1927 and adapted as offices and members' rooms by Atkinson, who added more studios to the rear - these last again of very simple design. The presence of the Architectural Association in one of London's most important squares did much to promote the special interest and importance of Georgian London, especially amongst the many international architects and

writers who came there. Here, for example, Steen Eiler Rasmussen lectured in 1928 and his book on the quintessentials of London architecture, 'London, the Unique City', perfectly captures the homely spirit for which London's Georgian squares and terraces have since been venerated. (Byrne A: Bedford Square, An architectural study: London: -1990; Summerson J: The Architectural Association, a Centenary History: Architectural Association: -1948).


TQ2981NE MORWELL STREET 798-1/99/78 Nos.26, 26A AND 27 24/10/51


See under: Nos.28-38 and attached railings BEDFORD SQUARE.

Listing NGR: TQ2973981622

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Byrne, A, Bedford Square An Architectural Study, (1990)
Summerson, J , The Architectural Association a Centenary History, (1948)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29777 81604


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244548 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 07:08:19.

End of official listing