NUMBER 25 STORE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/118)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1244578
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 25 STORE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/118), JAGO ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 25 STORE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/118)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244578 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 14:31:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 25 STORE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/118), JAGO ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63017 00652

Details

SU 6300 NW JAGO ROAD (North side) HM Naval Base 774-1/29/204 No 25 Store (Building No 1/118)

GV II*

Stores and workshops, now one. 1782, altered. Red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs. Mid Georgian style. PLAN: two linked free-standing parallel ranges running west-east, with intermediate courtyard. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 17 x 9 bays. Ashlar plinth, 1st-floor band, string on stepped dentilled brick eaves band, flat coping to parapet, and cornices to pediments. 12-pane sash windows in reveals with stone sills. Wide panelled double doors with louvred vents at top in wooden architraves with console-bracketed cornices; 1st-floor loading doors in quoined, raised, ashlar surrounds with cornices. Rainwater pipes with bulbous heads. South elevation: bays arranged 2:5:3:5:2, ends and centre projecting under pediments, that at centre with blind oculus, those at ends with blind oeil-de-boeuf. Doorways to bays 5, 9 and 13 and central loading door. Rear similar but doorways now windows and the loading door, below segmental brick arch, now with bridge to sail loft (building no.11109). East elevation: bays arranged 3:3:3. Centre is recessed and has central window with flanking doors, that on left bricked up, that on right with double board door and fanlight with radial glazing bars in keyed round- arched surround with imposts. Each outer section has central door as before. West end partially obscured by addition linking this building to No.24 Store (qv). INTERIOR: on ground floor square chamfered wooden posts, carrying large- scantling beams. In north range original wooden stair with large- scantling plain balusters, newels and handrail. 1st floor: board-lined walls to south range; roof trusses have collared queen posts, the collars supporting king posts. The courtyard elevations have had additions and alterations, but retain original windows, end entrance-archways, rainwater-pipes, and along the back of the south range survives an early lean-to stable addition of 5 bays with wooden columns on padstones and hipped roof, the formerly open bays now mostly infilled. HISTORY: originally one of 4 similar stores and workshops built to a courtyard plan as part of the dockyard modernisation programme. This was the south-eastern block and is the best surviving, being the only one still to retain its original form of two ranges with central courtyard. It accommodated wheelwrights, block and capstan makers, with offices and stores. The south-western and north-western blocks survive as No.24 and No.33 Stores, Main Road (qqv): the north-eastern block (Building No. 1/149, not included), suffered from 1940s bomb damage. Though altered, this forms the best example of an unusual type of combined workshop and store, and an interesting attempt to rationalise dockyard workshop activities in a formal arrangement of self-contained buildings. (Sources: The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 414 ; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 10 ; Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 36, plate 30; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 153).



Listing NGR: SU6299200361

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476661
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of H M Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850, (1981), 36
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 153
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 414
Riley, R C, 'The Portsmouth Papers' in The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth, (1985), 10

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].