ENTERPRISE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1244861
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1997
Statutory Address:
ENTERPRISE HOUSE, BLYTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENTERPRISE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244861.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 01:37:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
ENTERPRISE HOUSE, BLYTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hillingdon (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 09357 79619

Details

TQ 07 NE HAYES BLYTH ROAD

804/2/10040 Enterprise House

II

Former gramophone factory for His Master's Voice, now warehousing and industrial units. 1912 by the Trussed Concrete Steel Company, E Owen Williams senior designer. Reinforced concrete frame, with posts and beams using the Kahn system of reinforcement patented in 1903 by Albert and Julius Kahn in Detroit, USA, and painted brick infill. The building is unusual for its date not only in its system of construction but that this is expressed externally. Flat roof, with north-facing rooflights to rear. Irregular E-shaped plan, with offset centre denoted by rooftop water tank, its wings projecting to rear. Street facade is 1-10-3-5 bay composition, with offset three-bay centre containing staircase set round central liftshaft and topped by watertank - itself supported on a concrete frame treated as a tripartite arch to the streetfront. Small pane metal windows with central opening casements. Iron railing to roof. Sides and rear similar, but east side and rear with projecting frame indicating that the building was intended to be extended. The treatment of the reinforcement bars at the top of the columns as a form of capital is distinctive in concrete construction of this period and is also found internally. Sir E Owen Williams is the most significant engineer turned architect in twentieth-century British architecture, noted for his work for the Boots Pure Drug Company, the Daily Express and British Overseas Airways Corporation. This is his first known work. It is significant in its own right as an early reinforced concrete building which is unusual for its date in that the frame clearly expressed as a composition rather than hidden behind brick or render. This and the rooftop watertank, a curious architectural feature, has led to the building becoming known as 'Little Chicago'. Sources: The Builder, 29 March 1912, pp 375-7; Peter Collins, 'Concrete, the Vision of a New Architecture', 1959; David Cottam and Gavin Stamp, 'Sir E Owen Williams', 1986; Andrew Saint, 'Some Thoughts About the Archiectural Use of Concrete', AA Files 21, 1991.



Listing NGR: TQ0935779619

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468926
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collins, P, Concrete the Vision of a New Architecture, (1959)
D, Cottam, G, Stamp (Ed), Sir Owen Williams 1890-1969, (1986)
'The Builder' in 29 March, (1912), 375-7
Saint, A, 'Architectural Association Files' in Some Thoughts About the Architectural Use of Concrete, (1991)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/06214/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].