Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 1 AND ATTACHED GARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245223 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:51:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Harrow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16706 92558



1157/7/10027 No 1 and attached garage II

Private house. 1938-9 by Rudolf Frankel. Brick construction, with warm yellow facing bricks on blue industrial brick plinth; stone copings to parapets. Flat roof behind parapet, two storeys, with one-storey service wing incorporating garage towards road, 'L'-shaped plan, at right-angles to the road, allows the principal rooms to face south and west over a sheltered, private garden, with only a narrow comer entrance towards the road. Cut-away corner forming a verandah on the ground floor where a single comer column carries the upper storey. EXTERIOR. Set back entrance door with round light, within porch oversailed by balcony. The door is reached via steps of blue brick corresponding with those of the plinth. The principal rooms face the garden, with original custom-made metal windows with side-opening casements. At comer, set back paved verandah under oversailing first floor, supported on single post, on to which pairs of French windows lead, of metal, fully glazed and with central transoms and top lights. Glass blocks on rear elevation give added light to dining room. Also at rear, trademan's door with round light under thin concrete canopy. INTERIOR. The interior is virtually unaltered. Hall, living room and dining room with oak flooring. Bathrooms and kitchen retain original features, including the bell system between the latter and the former maid's room and living room. Lounge with bookcases. Rudolf Frankel (1901- 74) was one of the most significant of the German emigres to settle in Britain in the late 1930s, having already established a considerable reputation as a designer of houses, cinemas and theatres in both Germany and Romania. This is his only pre-war English work; having designed some industrial buildings immediately after the war he moved to the United States to take up a chair of architecture at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. No.1 Halsbury Close is one of the most elegant and least altered private houses erected before the Second World War; while entirely modem in design, its use of carefully layered brick rather than reinforced concrete responds to the latest ideas of the period and 'anticipates the style of the 1950s. Sources Architects'Journal, 28 November 1940, pp.439-41 Building, Apri11948, pp.1 04- 7 Charlotte Benton, A Different World, Emigre Architects in Britain 1928- 1958, p.127, 155

Listing NGR: TQ1670692558


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Architects' Journal' in 28 November, (1940), 439-441
'Building' in April, (1948), 104-107
Benton, C, 'Emigre Architects in Britain' in A Different World: Emigre Architects in Britain 1928-1958, (1995), 127, 155


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14037/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Kirkland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].