NATIONAL HOSPITAL FOR NEUROLOGY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245487
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1997
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL HOSPITAL FOR NEUROLOGY, QUEEN SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245487.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Jul-2020 at 05:13:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
NATIONAL HOSPITAL FOR NEUROLOGY, QUEEN SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30375 82032

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3082SW QUEEN SQUARE 798-1/95/1742 (North East side) 09/12/97 National Hospital for Neurology

GV II

Hospital. 1883-5. By MP Manning and J Simpson. Red Suffolk brick with Doulton's terracotta cornices and string courses; tiled roof. Single rectangular block, originally fronted earlier building which no longer survives. PLAN: symmetrical composition around central block: projecting blocks with recessed link to flanking pavilions. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic and basement. 22 bays altogether. Venetian windows and carved brick in pavilion gable ends; triangular pediments on second floor. Tall, narrow round-headed windows with hoods above and pediments on second floor. Tall, narrow round-headed windows with hoods above and aprons below on the first floor. Rusticated brickwork on ground storey. Handsome terracotta entrance porch with voussoirs. Recessed terracotta balustraded loggias to link blocks, in French Renaissance style. Ornate blind aedicules on north pavilion flank wall. INTERIOR: entrance foyer, offices, board room and chapel on ground floor; wards above. Doric screen between foyer and main staircase compartment. Staircase rises to first floor against rear wall, dominated by large Venetian window with stained glass. Chapel to right of entrance, rectangular in plan, lit by octagonal dome with coloured glass border. Green marble Corinthian columns and pilasters. Plain frieze with dentilled cornice. Coved ceiling. Stained glass window behind altar dates from 1885. Board room to right of entrance also, fronting Queen Square, panelled and with fitted cupboards having leaded glazed fronts; elaborate wooden mantelpiece above faience surround fireplace inset with De Morgan tiles. HISTORICAL NOTE: the hospital was founded in 1860 by Louisa and Joanna Chandler for the care of the paralysed and epileptic. Money for this block was raised by HRH Duke of Albany and opened by his brother Edward, Prince of Wales, in 1884. (The Builder: 22 May 1880; The Builder: 7 July 1883; Building News: 27 June 1884; Building News: 3 July 1885; Holmes G: The National Hospital in Queen Square, 1860-1948: London: 1954-).





Listing NGR: TQ3037582032

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477828
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Holmes, G, The National Hospital in Queen Square 1860-1948, (1954)
'Building News' in 3 July, (1885)
'The Builder' in 7th July, (1883)
'Building News' in 27 June, (1884)
'The Builder' in 22nd May, (1880)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14192/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Frances Ottaway. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].