CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245545
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, RENEY AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245545.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:53:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, RENEY AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 34156 81048

Details

SK 3481 SW SHEFFIELD RENEY AVENUE (South side), Greenhill 784-1/39/10053 CHURCH OF ST PETER

II

Anglican church. Designed 1963, built 1964-5, consecrated 1966, addition c.1994. By Oxley & Bussey of Sheffield. Peter Sargent architect in charge. General contractors William Drabble & Sons Ltd. Brick, circular plan with central square spire 93ft high clad in Westmorland slate roofs. The circular plan has advanced and recessed sections joined by flat glass walls. Exterior faced in dark brick with flat parapets, projecting porch to north-west, lower day chapel projects to north-east now linked by additional parish room. Glazed wooden entrance screen with double glazed doors. Four large laminated wooden beams rise from around the altar forming the square spire with clear glass clerestory windows. Raised circular altar space with stainless steel and wood communion rail, raised altar of grey Derbyshire marble. Suspended over altar stainless steel cross. Wooden seating in arched sections, raised section to north for choir. Stainless steel and wooden pulpit, bishop's throne, hymn board and hymn book stand. Circular font of grey Derbyshire marble on octagonal base. Glazed walls have rectangular glazing with coloured panes in the form of a cross. Day chapel has completely glazed west wall of colourful abstract design. Included as an early example of liturgical planning, bringing the communicants and celebrant closer together while solving the problems faced by churches which were entirely in the round'. It is a most handsome and lavish church of its date, with fixtures and fittings of exceptional quality and completeness. Sources. The Architect & Building News. June 22, 1966, pp.1117 -1120.



Listing NGR: SK3415681048

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472985
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architect and Building News' in 22 June, (1966), 1117-1120

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15661/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].