ST GEORGES THEATRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1245919
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1998
Statutory Address:
ST GEORGES THEATRE, KING STREET
Statutory Address:
ST GEORGES THEATRE, ST GEORGES PLAIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST GEORGES THEATRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245919 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 18:51:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST GEORGES THEATRE, KING STREET
Statutory Address:
ST GEORGES THEATRE, ST GEORGES PLAIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 52612 07348

Details

GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207SE ST GEORGE'S PLAIN 839-1/16/181 (North East side) 27/06/53 St George's Theatre (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET (East side) Former Church of St George)

GV I

Church, now theatre. Built 1714 as a chapel of ease to St Nicholas by John Price of Wandsworth. Redundant in 1959, restored 1974 and opened as a theatre 1979. The ground plan is based on St Clement Danes, London. Red brick with ashlar dressings on a stone plinth course. The brick is laid in Flemish bond but is of header bond in the quadrants. Copper roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. The north and south sides are of 4 bays each, with giant pilasters supporting a Doric block entablature below a rebuilt parapet. 8/8 lower sashes and 12/12 upper ones, all round-headed. There is one 6-panelled door to each front, requiring the shortening of one window. The east and west ends are joined to the sides by means of double quadrants, each of which has a pair of sashes as before set within a broad ashlar band. One quadrant bay on north and south sides has a pedimented doorway. The church is entered from the west through a double-leaf door under a pediment. Pilasters rise up either side to a broken pediment containing a round-headed sash with glazing bars. Above the parapet is a tower of square section lit through a small sash to the west and with a clock face under a pediment to the north and south. There is a low open balustrade and then an open cupola with paired columns to the projections. On top of this is a polygonal lantern under an ogeed dome. Ball finial and weathervane. The east end has the same double quadrants as the west except they do not have doorways. The upper east window is the only one to retain C18 glazing bars, though not of 1718. The east end has a pair of giant Corinthian pilasters supporting an open pediment on block entablatures. Panelled door with an arched overlight. The roof is low and hipped. INTERIOR: the entrance narthex has a staircase right and left: turned balusters, ramped and wreathed moulded handrail, open string. The interior was formerly of 6 bays of panelled timber piers supporting a gallery. On the gallery were 6 Doric columns rising to a barrel-vaulted ceiling with subsidiary domes at the east end. These elements remain, but the lower

pier panelling and the plaster vault has gone, leaving the roof timbers exposed. Roof of principal studs, curved tension braces to the upper wall plate and flat purlins. The barrel-vault formers remain. The east and west ends have a pair of Corinthian upper columns. The north side under the gallery has been partly partitioned off as a bar and the south side has been partitioned off to provide for changing rooms and other offices. The furnishings have been moved to the Church of St Nicholas (qv).



Listing NGR: TG5261207348

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468606
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07055/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].