CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245964
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1973
Statutory Address:
CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY, BRUNSWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:06:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CITY MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY, BRUNSWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Gloucester (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SO8325718346

Details

SO8318SW 844-1/12/25 12/03/73

GLOUCESTER BRUNSWICK ROAD (West side) City Museum and Art Gallery

II

Museum and art gallery. 1898. By FS Waller for Margaret Hall as a memorial to her husband William Edwin Price; extended to the rear by the same architect. Coursed, rock-faced rubble with ashlar features and details, red plain tile roof surmounted by a timber cupola with a copper dome. Designed in an eclectic early Renaissance style inspired by the work of TG Jackson. A large, rectangular, block with entrance hall wing at south end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellars; on the main block the ground floor has no fenestration and forms a tall podium to the upper floor; the front of the main block is symmetrical, with five bays defined by piers at ground-floor level and pilasters at first-floor level, with wider clasping piers and pilasters at each corner Above the central bay an ashlar fronted dormer, an octagonal cupola above the parapet at the outer corners, and a larger, central cupola on the roof ridge; on the ground floor a tall rock faced plinth with two offsets both capped by a chamfered ashlar course; below the first-floor sill level a corniced ashlar band incorporating an apron panel below the large three-light ashlar framed and mullioned leaded window in the central bay and the similar two-light windows in the other bays, all the windows have central transoms and semicircular arched heads with key stones to the upper lights; above is a crowning, ashlar entablature which breaks forward slightly over each window with a carved panel in the frieze; above the cornice of each projection an anthemion with flanking scrolls carved in relief against the parapet except for the central bay which has a blank heraldic shield with dragon crest in relief against the front of the dormer under an arched canopy. On the left side of the main block the lower, slightly recessed bay with an elaborate, applied frontispiece in two stages; the rusticated lower stage is crowned by the continuation of the corniced band on the main block to each side of the entrance doorway which is framed by pilasters with moulded corbels supporting a shell hood with a scalloped edge; the hood projects in front of the central panel on the upper stage, the panel is framed by pilasters and entablature with a swan-neck pediment above and parapets on each side supporting scrolls against the sides of the panel; the wide double



doorway has rusticated jambs and a cambered arched head with a projecting keystone. INTERIOR: original features include joinery and staircase. Original staircase of 1898. The most important internal feature of 1892-3 is the main ceiling at eaves level, coved and offered with three sun-burner centrepieces. The interior also includes part of the scheduled Roman colonia wall. Main staircase of 1957 by RD Fitzsimmons, when first floor built. HISTORY: originally the Price Memorial Hall built as a lecture hall for the Gloucester Science and Art Society, 1892-3. In 1902 adapted for use as a museum and art gallery for the Corporation of the City of Gloucester. (BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 240; VCH: The City of Gloucester: Oxford: 1988-).

Listing NGR: SO8325718346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472106
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1988)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 240

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02635/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Farley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].