11-15, MAYFAIR AVENUE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1246121
Date first listed:
17-May-2001
Statutory Address:
11-15, MAYFAIR AVENUE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246121.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 01:26:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
11-15, MAYFAIR AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Nailsea
National Grid Reference:
ST 47508 70242

Details

1066/0/10014 17-MAY-01

NAILSEA MAYFAIR AVENUE 11-15

II

Four terrace houses. 1933-35 by Robert McClaren Love, FRIBA for W.H. Pippett. A close of one detached and four terrace houses; the left-hand detached house was not built. Painted brick; tiled roofs. Nos. 11-14 comprise a two storey range with hipped roof. Central archway to ground floor. Inner houses (Nos. 12 and 13) have central arched door openings flanked by 2/8 pane three-light casement windows; outer houses (Nos. 11 and 14) have single windows and attached garages. Original front doors (modern replacement to No. 14) with circle-in-square panel below 9-pane light. Two-light 2/8 pane dormer windows. Three chimney stacks to roof. Rear (northern) elevation with projecting pyramidal hip to endmost bays, dormer windows, and raised wall to eaves level either side of the central opening. No.15 of two storeys with pyramidal hipped roof, central chimney stack, dormer windows, catslide roof over garage. INTERIORS: original features to Nos. 11 and 13 include marble fireplace surrounds with keystone motifs and bolection-moulded frames; marble window sills; doors faced in Douglas fir with three vertical panels; continuous skirting boards and picture rails; closed staircases with moulded wooden handrails and railings decorated with solar and stellar devices. HISTORY: this development of houses was undertaken by W.H. Pippett, a mason who had worked at New Delhi for Lutyens and Baker. The architect, Love, was also engaged on work for Lutyens at New Delhi. The development, originally called The Close, was not completed and the present No. 10 was built in 1966 to an unrelated plan. Listed for their architectural quality as exceptional Arts and Crafts-inspired suburban houses, strongly influenced by Hampstead Garden Suburb, with interesting direct connections with Sir Edwin Lutyens.

Listing NGR: ST4750870242

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487624
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].