This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE LODGE

List entry Number: 1246138

Location

THE LODGE, 304, WOODSTOCK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 487563

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



612/0/10074 WOODSTOCK ROAD 06-JUN-01 (East side) 304 The Lodge

GV II*



Villa with service wing. Central square core built c.1830 for Charles Shillingford; remodelled 1862 for Owen Grimbly (of Grimbly Hughes grocery store in Cornmarket) with added verandah and extensions set back to either side, that to south providing new entrance front; billiard room added and service wing substantially rebuilt 1890s. Whitewashed stucco, with ashlar to ground floor of entrance front and cast iron verandah/conservatories to garden; concealed slate roof. Central corridor plan. Classical style. 2-storey building with stucco decoration enriched 1862. EXTERIOR. Garden Front: 2 c.1830 bays project to centre, retaining original ground-floor detail with chamfered quoins and architrave surrounds to French doors. Upper storey enriched 1862 with panelled pilasters, central panel, and entablature with plain frieze, dentils and deeply moulded cornice. Parapet has raised centrepiece with moulded wreath. Tall paired casements with architrave surrounds and pediments on scroll brackets. Cornice is carried round narrow extensions set back unevenly to either side, each having a first-floor sash with flat hood on scroll brackets, and doors below to symmetrical cast iron conservatories. These conservatories project with canted ends towards the garden, and have double doors to, and are linked by, a verandah with matching canted centre bay, the whole forming a covered passage around the complete front of the house. Whole is arcaded with pierced and moulded arches, trellis spandrels, and slender fluted columns with lily-leaf capitals. Trellis-work parapet. Conservatories are glazed, with slender horizontal glazing bars, above low panels. Renewed glazed roofing. Single-storey billiard room with long roof lantern and canted end is set back to far left. Entrance Front: first floor is stuccoed, with cornice and 2 sashes to match garden front; ashlar ground floor has channelled rustication, tripartite sash to right, and ashlar doorcase with hood on scroll brackets, carved drops, and carved frieze of oak and beech leaves, dated 1862. Double panelled doors with overlight. Porch leads to original front door and double doors lead to conservatory on left. Rear has c.1830 single-storey stucco porch with offset cornice and pilasters flanking flush-panelled door with overlight. Brick service wing, part whitewashed, with slate roof and stone lintels over sash windows. INTERIOR: hallway has encaustic tiles, and stick-baluster staircase with cut scroll string and curving mahogany handrail. 2 garden-front rooms joined to form large drawing room, with original shutters. Plaster ceiling cornices, those to drawing room and hall of c.1830, elaborated dining room cornice of 1862. Marble fireplaces with simple side pilasters and mantel-shelves mostly survive throughout building, including service wing, two with C19 cast iron grates and original tiles. Bathroom has complete 1930s fittings, in green, including panelled bath, shaped pedestal basin and mirror, WC, and tiling scheme (highlight black and gold tiles merely covered by later green ones) with narrow stepped black border to creamy-yellow frieze. Kitchen and scullery arrangements are also of the 1930s, with built-in cupboards, dresser and shelving of the period, metal sink, and compact cast iron range - a Servall Minor 4 - set in the earlier fireplace in a surround of treacle-coloured tiles. This is a fine little-altered early and mid C19 villa with an outstanding and very rare suite of conservatories and linking verandah, almost certainly intended to provide a key part of the reception circuit.

Listing NGR: SP5044609438

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 50447 09435

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246138 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 07:47:50.

End of official listing