This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BROMLEY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROMLEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1246247

Location

BROMLEY HOUSE, 13, 14 AND 15, ANGEL ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 454757

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NW ANGEL ROW 646-1/20/6 (South West side) 11/08/52 Nos.13, 14 AND 15 Bromley House

GV II*

Formerly known as: No 13, No 14 & No 15 Market Place ANGEL ROW. Town house with banking hall, now public subscription library and shops. 1752. Possibly by Sir Robert Taylor, for George Smith, banker, and grandson of the founder of Smith's Bank. Converted to library c1820, shopfronts inserted c1929, altered late C20. Red brick, with painted ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs with 2 gable stacks. First floor sill band, eaves cornice, coped parapet and coped gables. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attics and cellars; 5 window range. L-plan. Street front has a central doorway with moulded surround and cornice on brackets, 6-panel door and elaborate fanlight. On each side, late C20 shopfronts, under a plain band. Over the door, a small ashlar plaque, added 1989, inscribed "Bromley House 1752". Above, 5 tall glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds, with pediments. Above again, 5 smaller glazing bar sashes with moulded surrounds and sill brackets. Attics have 3 gabled dormers. Rear elevation has a central ashlar doorcase with cornice on brackets, panelled door and fanlight, altered c1929. On each side, single storey lean-to additions, 3 windows, with glazed roofs. Above, 4 glazing bar sashes, and above again 5 smaller glazing bar sashes, all with keystone wedge lintels. To left, a projecting single window staircase link with coped parapet. Attic has 2 hipped dormers. Parapet rebuilt to right, with 2 large 3-light casements for a photographic studio. Rear wing to south-west, 3 storeys plus cellar; 9 window range. Chamfered plinth, ashlar eaves band and brick eaves. Projecting centre, 3 windows. Ground floor has 3 plain sashes to centre and to left, To right, a round-arched doorway with Gibbs surround, part-glazed 6-panel door and fanlight. Beyond, a C20 casement. Above, 8 tall glazing bar sashes, and above again, 9 smaller glazing bar sashes, all with brick flat arches and keystones. To left, a 2-storey addition, 2 windows. Beneath the rear wing, rock-cut cellars including remains of a malt kiln and well. INTERIOR: entrance hall has a row of Ionic columns, formerly freestanding, forming a screen to the former banking hall. 2 moulded arches with keystones, decorated plaster coving and ceilings. 3-flight open well wooden staircase with 3 turned balusters per tread, ramped handrail and panelled dado. Pedimented doorcases and panelled doors on first floor landing. 2 elaborate plasterwork bands, and moulded cornice, below a plain square dome with C20 octagonal lantern. Curving stair to upper floors, c1820, with stick balusters, leading to upper landing with turned balusters and a segmental archway. Panelled doors with wooden surrounds on this landing. First floor rooms, now library, combined and linked by segmental arches c1844. These rooms retain some fielded panelling and panelled shutters. 4 good quality mid C18 fireplaces, with contemporary fire surrounds and overmantels. Main front reception room has Rococo style oval panelled plaster ceiling. Main reading room, 2 storeys, has a balcony c1844 and spiral staircase c1857, with cast-iron balustrades. Upper floors have a 2-flight staircase with turned balusters and square newels, most original panelled doors and surrounds, single C18 fireplace, and some panelling. This building retains a considerable amount of the form and fittings of a mid-C18 town house. It also housed the first photographic studio in Nottingham, from 1841, which remained in use till 1955. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 229; Bromley House 1752-1991: Coupe R & Corbett J: Nottingham: 1991-: 49-76 & 101-130).

Listing NGR: SK5704439910

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Coupe, R, Corbett, J , Bromley House 1752-1991, (1991), 49-76
Coupe, R, Corbett, J , Bromley House 1752-1991, (1991), 101-130
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 229

National Grid Reference: SK 57044 39910

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 07:47:46.

End of official listing