CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1246275
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, OLD MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246275.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:10:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, OLD MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 85645 02998

Details

MANCHESTER

698-1/3/548 OLD MARKET STREET 20-JUN-88 BLACKLEY (North side) CHURCH OF ST PETER

II*



Church. 1844, by E.H.Shellard. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Six-bay aisled nave embracing west tower, 4-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Early English style. The 4-stage tower has set-back half-height buttresses continued as corner pilasters, octagonal corners to the belfry stage and a plain parapet; a 2-centred arched west doorway with shafts and roll-moulding, a 3-light west window, an oculus in a crocketed diamond surround, a clock face, and coupled louvred belfry windows moulded in 2 orders, with shafts. The west ends of the aisles have tall lancets with shafts, and corner pinnacles; the south aisle is buttressed and has coupled lancets in similar style, and a double-chamfered doorway in the 1st bay, with shafts and a steep gable; the north aisle is much plainer, having plain chamfered lancets. The chancel has a large 5-light east window with bar tracery and coupled lancets to the sides. INTERIOR: chancel has carved stone reredos of 1887 with marble shafts. Carved communion rail. Choir stalls with shafted Early English blind arcading to front. Encaustic tile floor of 1867. Stained glass to east window of 1869 and probably by Lavers and Barraud. Panelled roof with arched braces supported on corbels. Nave has arcades with quatrefoil piers and open truss roof with hammerbeams and curved braces. Galleries on 3 sides, with shafted Early English blind arcading to the front; complete set of box pews in the galleries with some open benches to the west end. Complete set of Gothick box pews in the nave and aisles with poppyhead shaped ends and higher churchwardens' pews to the west end; arcaded Early English style pulpit and font; some C19 heraldic and patterned stained glass to the lower part of the aisle windows. On the west wall are a large Royal Arms and a collection of C18 and early C19 memorials from the earlier church on the site. History: Commissioners' church, cost î3,162 (Pevsner). This church is particularly impressive for its complete C19 interior with the extremely unusual survival of all the fine box and other pews.



Listing NGR: SD8564502998

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
454825
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/12599/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].