Former Lenton Vicarage


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Unity House, 35, Church Street, Lenton, Nottingham, NG7 2FF


Ordnance survey map of Former Lenton Vicarage
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246783 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 16:23:04.


Statutory Address:
Unity House, 35, Church Street, Lenton, Nottingham, NG7 2FF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 05/06/2018

SK53NE 646-1/7/796

NOTTINGHAM Lenton CHURCH STREET(South side) No 35, Unity House Former Lenton Vicarage

(Formerly listed as Old Vicarage, CHURCH STREET)

GV II Lenton Vicarage was constructed in 1842, probably to the designs of AI Stevens.


A vicarage, converted to flats in the late C20. Constructed of red brick with ashlar dressings and patterned tile roof with two partly rendered side wall stacks. Plinth, coped gables with kneelers. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes with stone surrounds and mullions.

Two storeys plus attics; three x three bays. Street front has to left a projecting gabled wing with a canted bay window, seven-lights, and above it, on each floor, a two-light mullioned window. To right, a Tudor arched doorway with label mould, renewed door and fanlight. Above it, a two-light mullioned window. To right, beyond a truncated side wall stack, a single window on each floor. Left return has a central porch, late C20, flanked by single windows. Above, a mullioned window and to left, a through-eaves dormer with coped gable. To left, a C20 addition, two storeys. Included for group value.

Historical note: Lenton Vicarage was the home of Helen Kirkpatrick Watts (1881-1972) one of Nottingham’s best-known suffragettes.  Helen moved to the vicarage in 1893 when her father, Revd. Alan Hunter Watts, became vicar of Holy Trinity. Helen joined the Nottingham branch of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the militant suffrage group founded by Emmeline Pankhurst, after hearing Christabel Pankhurst speak at a meeting in Nottingham in December 1907; Helen became active in the local WSPU branch and wrote several letters to the Nottinghamshire Guardian in favour of women’s suffrage.

In 1909 Helen was arrested in London during a march from Caxton Hall, Westminster, to the Houses of Parliament, following her attendance at the WSPU’s ‘Women’s Parliament’. Charged with obstruction, she refused to pay the fine, in accordance with WSPU policy, and was sent to Holloway Prison for a month, becoming Nottingham’s first suffrage prisoner. She was arrested twice more in 1909, and on the second occasion was charged with disorderly conduct for attempting to enter Leicester’s Albert Hall during a meeting attended by Winston Churchill. In Leicester Gaol she protested against prison conditions by breaking her cell windows and went on hunger strike and was released after five days. She addressed several public meetings in Nottingham about her suffrage experiences, and posed for a photograph in her prison uniform. She left Nottingham in 1912.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.

Listing NGR: SK5551139336


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].