30-39, LAMMAS GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1246820
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
30-39, LAMMAS GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246820.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 02:27:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
30-39, LAMMAS GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34600 72413

Details

TQ 3472 LEWISHAM LAMMAS GREEN (South side) 779/29/10073 Nos.30-39 (Consecutive)

GV II

Terrace of ten houses. 1955-7 by Donald McMorran of Farquharson and McMorran, with Peter Nuttall as assistant, for the Corporation of the City of London. Brick construction, colourwashed, with pantiled roofs and brick stacks. The houses set in pairs, breaking forward down the slope, with a group of three at the bottom of the slope. The houses each of two storeys and each have three bedrooms. The pairs consist of one more compact plan-type, with dining-kitchen and dormer windows, separated from a wider house by a round-arched entry. Metal windows with side-opening casements and toplights, those to Nos. 34 and 38 renewed but respecting the pattern of the originals. Timber doors set within timber porches with pointed hoods reflecting the style of the dormers. INTERIORS: Living rooms with picture rails. Staircases with timber balastrades. A wide selection of fitted cupboards in the principal rooms. Kitchen and bathroom fitings not of special interest. Donald McMorran is slowly becoming recognised as one of the most significant architects to work in a traditional style in the 1950s. What makes him stand out from other traditionalists was his willingness to tackle progressive building types like public housing and schools while sticking to the old values of composition, proportion and texture. This puts him closer to Giles Scott than to architects like Raymond Erith who made their names with private houses. He also owed much to Vincent Harris, for whom he worked between 1927 and 1935. This is the smallest but finest of four housing schemes by McMorran, two of them for the City Corporation. The composition of three terraces set round a village green, with views of the North Downs, is made the more idyllic by the position of the two blocks of flats as a buffer to the road behind. The density is 57 dwellings per acre, less than the permissible seventy 'so as to establish conditions under which a community with its own continuity and life might be able to flourish'. To judge from the estate's condition, it seems to have done so. The contrast of the flats with the colourwashed cottages is particularly distinguished. The form of the colourwashed terraces set in pairs owes something to the work of Tayler and Green, translated to an urban setting.



Listing NGR: TQ3460072413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471974
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 22 November, (1957), 906-908

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15597/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].