CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1247151
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:30:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 55455 39310

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE CHURCH STREET, Lenton 646-1/7/793 (South East side) Church of Holy Trinity

GV II*

Parish church. 1842. By HI Stevens. Ashlar, with slate and concrete tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave with clerestory, aisles, north porch, west tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, coped parapets and gables, shallow buttresses. Windows are plain lancets with hood moulds. Chancel, 3 bays, has a graduated 3-light east window, and 3 windows to south. Vestry, to north, has a single window to north and east. Clerestory has 5 windows each side, divided by pilasters. South aisle has 5 paired windows, and single windows to east and west. North aisle has 4 paired windows, and single window to west. North porch has coped gable with angle buttresses, with double chamfered doorway, and a window each side. Square west tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses and coped parapet with pinnacles. Chamfered west door under a gable, with single windows east and west. Above, a graduated 3-light window, with single windows north and south. Clock dials above. Bell stage has triple openings each side, with a clock to east. INTERIOR: rendered, has moulded chancel arch with single lancet above. Nave and chancel have arch braced hammer beam roofs. East end has a floral stained glass window to Francis Wright, died 1873, and an elaborate tile and mosaic reredos with figures, c1902. Wooden altar rail with bowed centre. North side has organ opening, south side a Tudor arched door. Nave has 4-bay arcades with quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches. In the east bay, an ashlar and marble screen wall and pulpit, 1902, under a Perpendicular style traceried wooden screen and crest. At the west end, a 2-tier panelled gallery and screen, with glazed porches and screens below. North aisle has stained glass windows 1902, 1911 and 1931. lancet at east end with organ pipes. South aisle has stained glass windows 1873, 1897, 1914, and at the east end, 1873. Fittings include the outstandingly rare cubical font, mid C12, from Lenton Priory, with elaborate figure carving on 3 sides. Stepped base, 1904. Late C19 stalls and desks, mid C19 benches. Memorials include 6 marble and slate tablets, C19, and arch-topped bronze tablet, 1917, to Albert Ball. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 253-254).

Listing NGR: SK5545539310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
455836
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 253-254

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13028/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].