DECKER MILL OLD MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1247473
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1988
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Jun-1994
Statutory Address:
DECKER MILL, REDHILL STREET
Statutory Address:
OLD MILL, REDHILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DECKER MILL
OLD MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 04:31:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
DECKER MILL, REDHILL STREET
Statutory Address:
OLD MILL, REDHILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 85072 98584

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8498 REDHILL STREET, Ancoats 698-1/17/461 (North West side) 20/06/88 Old Mill and Decker Mill (Formerly Listed as: REDHILL STREET, Ancoats (North West side) Murray's Mill)

GV II*

Cotton spinning mills, now clothing factory. Old Mill (to the W) built in 1798, with Decker Mill added to the E in 1802. Brown brick with slate roofs; internal structure of cast iron columns and timber beams. The 2 mills form a continuous range parallel to the canal; both now 7 storeys (although 8 storeys when built), the original 11 bays of Old Mill extended by the 10 bay Decker Mill. Small windows with flat arched brick heads. Stair tower serving both mills towards centre of rear elevation, and 2 narrow heating or ventilation towers against this rear wall. Detached engine house in the yeard beyond (a mid C19 replacement), and octagonal stack with moulded cap adjacent to it. Internal structure has been modified, but it is likely that the original design incorporated joisted floors carried on cruciform cast iron columns (as surviving in part of New Mill, qv). Truncated remains of wing to Bengal Street elevation was formerly a 4-storeyed range used for warehousing, and had been added to the site by 1906. History: built for Adam and George Murray, as the earliest part of what became a large textile working site. The mills were originally provided with their own canal basin in the yard to the rear, which was linked to the Rochdale Canal by an arched tunnel under the street. Fairbairn and Lillie's first major contract was for the renewal of the machine shafting in this mill. Together with New Mill to the rear, these mills are highly significant as a large early textile working site, developed as a single concern around a courtyard/canal basin. Old Mill is also the earliest surviving mill in Manchester.

Listing NGR: SJ8507298584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
456964
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01463/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Leo Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].