CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1247778
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, UPPER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247778.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:11:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, UPPER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Tilmanstone
National Grid Reference:
TR 30212 51470

Details

TILMANSTONE UPPER STREET TR 35 SW (West side)

4/121 Church of 11.10.63 St. Andrew

GV I

Parish church. C12, tower C13, nave C14 and C15, C18 south porch. Restored 1884. Flint, in part rendered, with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave,west tower and south porch. Three stage tower with string course to parapet, and simple chamfered lancets, and chamfered west doorway. South porch of flint and red brick with kneelered gable and rusticated stone arch with acanthus enriched keystone. Renewed south doorway, retains parts of C12 chip-carved tympanum. C12 lancets survive particularly in the north nave wall, C13 lancets in chancel and buttressed south nave wall. Renewed C15. Perpendicular 3 light East window with small trecusped C15 lancet over. Interior: wide plain chamfered tower arch on abaci with chamfered jambs. Reveals of C12 lancets, especially on north wall, and blocked north doorway. Pointed arched recesses to north and south east, C19 crown post roof. C14 chancel arch, double chamfered, the inner order on octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Chancel with C14 trussed rafter roof. Fittings: Water stoup by south door. C19 chancel fittings, with altar rail with twisted brass stems, pierced arcaded altar table, painted and mosaic reredos, with Christ in a central mandorla flanked by incense-swinging angels; screen and choir stalls. C18 pulpit, octagonal, with plain raised and fielded panelled sides. Font, C12, with square arcaded bowl on 5 shafts. Royal Arms of William III, re-hung under the tower arch after restoration 1979. Glass: 3 medieval shields and a rose in chancel north lancet, and C15 St. Andrew window in east gable lancet. Tower window 1597 by Holiday, the rest Kempe 1896-1906. Monuments: brass to Richard Fogg of Dane Court d.1598, plaque on south chancel wall. Fogg and wife kneel on a patterned floor with a shield supported on pillars behind them and a son and 3 daughters below them. Michael Hatton of Dane Court, d.1776. Wall tablet in nave of plain grey marble with Doric half columns supporting a broken pediment with arms cartouche. Edward Royds Rice of Dane Court, d.1878. C17 style wall tablet with acanthus enriched apron, with oak leaf festooned sides, scalloped frieze and broken segmental pediment with achievement over. Signed H.H. Armstead, R.A. Henry Edward Harcourt, d.1944, also in imitation C17 style, with lugged tablet, enriched with scrolls, with swan-neck pediment and cartouche, the whole enriched. Reverend Robert Twigg, d.1880. Bronze wall plaque with scrolled outer border, decorated in forms almost Art Nouveau. (See BOE Kent III 1983, 478-9).

Listing NGR: TR3020551404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429063
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Kent III, (1983), 478-479

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/08997/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Valerie E. Davies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].