This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1247812



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tilmanstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429075

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/135 Church of 11.10.63 All Saints


Parish church, now redundant. C12 in origin, with mortuary chapels added C.1697 and C.1712. Main body of church restored and virtually rebuilt 1886 by Ewan Christian, and 1902. Flint and rubble, with red brick chapels, in English bond on south, with slate roof and tiled chapel roofs. Chancel with chapels and nave with south porch. Lancet fenestration throughout main body of church only 1 in south chancel of C12 origin with C15 style 2 light windows in chapels and 1 in north nave wall, possibly original. Double buttressed west front with bell gable, the bell re-hung on nave south wall. Gabled south porch. Interior: little architectural expression; double chamfered chancel arch, queen strut roof. Chancel with arches to north and south chapels, and remains of genuine C12 and C13 window surrounds. Chapels with wooden barrel roofs, that to south with additional crown-posts. Fittings: piscinas in nave and chancel, mutilated. Painted and mosaic reredos with marble triptych, arcaded altar tables and C17 pierced wooden rail with raised and fielded side pieces and pilastered principal posts. Poor C19 screens to side chapels. Two hatchments in north chapel, 1 in south chapel, and tilting helms in each, with pair of gloves in north chapel. Monuments. In the South Chapel: Sir Edward Monins, d.1602, and family, erected before 1642. Black and white marble wall plaque, with inscription on oval plaque wreathed with palms, with Corinthian columns supporting an interrupted segmental pediment with enriched bracketed sides and bracketed apron. The Hon. Peregrine and Susan Bertie, c.1697. Railed enclosure with twisted principals with spear finials, enclosing tomb chest with swagged side pieces with funerary symbols and achievements. Draped panels with Cherubim. Peregrine and Susan recline uncomfortably with hands clasped and legs crossed on the tomb. As Hasted remarked, the figures are "made all out of proportion and conspicuously absurd." The inscription hints at "barbarous and horrid murder." North Chapel: Sir Henry Furnese, d.1712. By Thomas Green of Camberwell (and signed), one of the outstanding statuaries of his time (Gunnis, p.179). This free standing monument of 4 kinds of marble fills the entire chapel. Square base with 4 life-size mourning women seated on chairs and inscriptions on each side. Raised centre on cross-plan, with 4 putti on pedestals holding torches and funerary sheets, the side panels with elaborate cartouches of arms. Top stage of urn on 4 large volutes enriched with cherubs'heads and acanthus leaves, with torch finial. Outstanding. (See BOE, Kent, II, 1983, pp. 486-7; see also R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851, p.179; see also Hasted, X, pp. 59-60).

Listing NGR: TR2903948084

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 179
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1800), 59-60
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Kent II, (1983), 486-487

National Grid Reference: TR 29709 48277


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 01:02:22.

End of official listing