This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Building D34 (fire station) at Boots Factory Site

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Building D34 (fire station) at Boots Factory Site

List entry Number: 1247933


Building D34 (fire station) at Boots Factory Site, Dunkirk Industrial Estate, 1 Thane Road, Beeston, Nottinghamshire

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Broxtowe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-2013

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429356

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

The fire station at the Boots factory, known as D34, erected in 1938 to the designs of Sir Evan Owen Williams, with additions of c1978.

Reasons for Designation

Building D34, the fire station at the Boots factory site, erected in 1938, to the designs of Sir Evan Owen Williams, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural Interest: it is a model in engineering design of its neighbour D6, and has significant architectural interest;

* Architect: it was designed by Williams, one of the most influential and innovative engineering architects of the C20;

* Historic Interest: it is an outstanding example of reinforced concrete engineering, with unprecedented 9 metre cantilevers in the single-storey wings;

* Group Value: strong group value with Buildings D10 and D6, listed at Grade l, (for which it acted as the fire station) and D90, listed at Grade ll*.


Jesse Boot, son of John Boot, of the Boots Pure Drug Co., now Boots UK, took the decision to construct a model factory in the 1920s and acquired 156 acres of land to the south of Beeston. In constructing his purpose-built factory Jesse Boot made direct reference to American corporate working models aimed at creating a modern industrial environment – spacious, light and healthy for the workers – alongside the introduction of efficient, process-driven design. The modular, extendable and process-driven scheme reflected the fast changing needs of industrial production. Such concepts of appropriateness and suitability for purpose – using the latest structural techniques and materials – were a driving force in the construction of D10, the wet processes factory (constructed 1930-32) and D6, the dry processes factory (constructed 1937-38), both designed by the civil engineer Sir Evan Owen Williams.

D34, the site fire station, was also constructed in 1938 possibly to quell fires in the dry processes factory near which it sits, and also perhaps as a test model for the innovative construction of D6. It has a small side extension added in c.1978.


MATERIALS A reinforced concrete external frame with cantilever beams.

PLAN Rectangular in plan, the building is 8 bays deep and 3 bays wide.

EXTERIOR The fire station has a concrete plinth and concrete roofs. The higher, central appliance house has clerestory windows and is flanked by a single-storey, parapeted addition. There are metal, Crittall windows. The front entrance has central, full height doors flanked by single casements in set back wings and in each return angle, full-height glazing. The square hose tower has diagonal bracing, with glass brick infill. A long lamp-light is attached to the wall at the top centre of the entrance. The structural engineering of this building is similar to that of the D6 building and is of the same date. Additions of c.1978 are not of special interest.

INTERIOR The interior has a glazed tile dado.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harwood, E, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Nottingham, (2008)
'Architects' Journal' in Extensions: Boots Factory, Beeston, Notts., (29 December 1938)
Rijke, A de, 'Concrete Quarterly' in Favourtite Buildings, (Winter 2003)
Monckton, L and Smith, P, Nottingham: The Creation of a City's Identity EH Research Report series 22/2009, 2009,

National Grid Reference: SK5413336774


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247933 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2018 at 03:15:41.

End of official listing