CHURCH OF ST HELEN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248029.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 19:57:55.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Broxtowe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 48856 37362
SK 43 NE BEESTON AND STAPLEFORD CHURCH STREET
1/13 Church of St.Helen 18.10.49 G.V. II*
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored 1785 and by T. G. Jackson 1878. Memorial chapel, 1923, by T. G. Jackson. Coursed rubble, dressed stone and ashlar. Gabled and lean-to slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, coped and crenellated parapets, coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestries, memorial chapel, south porch. West tower, C13, raised C14. 2 stages. 4 clasp buttresses, plinth, string course, coved eaves, crenellated parapet. First stage has to south a lancet. To west, restored doorway with hood mould. Above, 4 early C14 double lancets with chamfered and rebated reveals. Octagonal setback spire, C15, has weathercock. Nave clerestory, 3 bays, early C16, has crenellated parapet, 1876. to north, single large spout and to south, 2 similar spouts. South side has 2 untraceried triple lancets with square headed reveals and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, rebuilt 1878, has string course and 4 buttresses. Plain gables. West end has early C14 lancet with intersecting tracery, restored, with hood mould. North side has 3 small double lancets. South aisles, C13, 3 bays, has moulded plinth, and moulded parapet, 1878. Diagonal buttress to west and single buttress to south. South side has to right, 2 cusped double lancets with hood moulds and stops. West end has restored early Cl4 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and coved reveal. Chancel has coped east gable with gabled kneelers and cross, 1878, and pair of diagonal buttresses. East end has early C14 5 light lancet with intersecting tracery and quatrefoil head. Vestries, rebuilt C19, have gables of different heights, one weatherboarded. Single plain and diagonal buttresses. North side has door with hood mould and to its right, 3 shouldered lancets. East end has double lancet with hood mould. Memorial chapel, 2 bays. C15 style. Incorporates earlier work. Plain coped gable and parapet. East end has foundation stone, 1923. Inscribed "A.M.D.G. The foundation stone of this Memorial Chapel was laid with Masonic ceremonial by the Duke of Portland K.G. on July 25th 1923. Crawford Hills, M.A. Vicar, Joseph Richards, C. R. Vicars, Wardens. Sir T. G. Jackson, Bart., R.A., Architect. J. Thompson & Sons of Peterborough, Builders." Above, re-set C14 triple lancet with reticulated tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has 2 diagonal and single central buttresses. Off-centre moulded door flanked by single triple lancets with Gothic segmental heads. Above, re-set sundial inscribed "Vigilia Oraque 1679". South porch, 1785, altered 1878. Moulded pointed south doorway with hood mould and coped gable with empty niche and cross. Stone benches and common rafter roof. Inner doorway C13, plain. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with C20 glazed traceried screen. Nave north and south arcades, late C13, 3 bays, have octagonal piers with simply moulded bases and capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches. North side has hood moulds. Roof 1878, principal rafter with hammer beams made from earlier tie beams. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs, 1878. North aisle east end has partially blocked C13 arch. North side has stained glass War Memorial window and brass by P & Q, 1945. South aisle east end has moulded arch to Memorial Chapel. West end has stained glass window by H. P. Thomas, 1982. Chancel arch, early C14 style, 1878. North side has screened recess with organ and to right, doorway and aumbry. East end has panelled reredos, mid C20, and stained glass window by Mayer & Co., 1877. South side has to east, C19. piscina and C13 style gabled triple sedilia. To west, 2 openings with C15 style traceried screen. Principal rafter roof, 1878, with strutted collars. Memorial chapel has east end stained glass window, 1918. Very low pitched king post roof. Fittings include font c.1300, re-sited 1976, tapered base and stem, irregular moulded conical bowl. Unusual spun copper cover with turned knob, late C17. Octagonal traceried ashlar pulpit, 1878. C19 brass eagle lectern. Altar rail on ornate iron stands, late C19. Traceried panelled communion table by T. G. Jackson, 1915. Traceried stalls and desks and plain benches, 1877. Monuments include incised slab to Robert Tevery and wife, 1571. Re-sited alabaster monument, 1639, to Gervase Tevery and wife. Panelled alabaster table with 2 life-size effigies. In front, kneeling life size figures of 3 daughters and infant son. Above, aediculed tablet with Latin inscription, flanked by angels and Corinthian columns. Open segmental pediment with crest and skull finials. Aediculed Renaissance Revival wall monument to Johannes Tevery, early C17. Apron, Doric columns, pediment, Latin inscribed panel with Arms. Scrolled alabaster tablet to Georg (sic) Jackson, 1684 and wife. Pedimented alabaster and marble tablets 1788 and 1795. Similar Classical tablet with obelisk, dove, skull and bones, 1795. Larger Classical tablet with obelisk, urn and sphinxes to George John Borlase Warren, 1802 by Bacon Jnr. Pedimented ashlar war memorial, 1918. 2 C19 tablets. 4 tablets with Creed and Lord's Prayer.
Listing NGR: SK4885637362
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing