CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SUPPORTING RETAINING WALL AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1248139
Date first listed:
26-Oct-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SUPPORTING RETAINING WALL AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, CLIFF ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SUPPORTING RETAINING WALL AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, ST JOHN'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SUPPORTING RETAINING WALL AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248139.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:18:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SUPPORTING RETAINING WALL AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, CLIFF ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SUPPORTING RETAINING WALL AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, ST JOHN'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Matlock Town
National Grid Reference:
SK 29426 59416

Details

In the entry for:- ST JOHN'S ROAD SK 25 NE (off Cliff Road) 6/1A Chapel of St John the Baptist

II

The entry shall be amended to read:-

SK 2959 MATLOCK ST JOHN'S ROAD (off Cliff Road) Matlock Bath

4/111 Chapel of St John the Baptist, supporting retaining. wall and attached boundary walls

II*

Chapel supporting retaining wall and attached boundary walls and integral trough. 1897, by E. Guy Dawber, for Mrs Louisa Sophia Harris. Rubble carboniferous limestone, of massive construction in lower part of the retaining wall, with ashlar gritstone dressings. Stone slates, laid to diminishing courses, replaced in concrete tiles to south slope, and with a single moulded ashlar coped gable to the east with kneelers and finals. Single cell chapel, with small square bell turret, beneath lead-covered pyramidal roof, projecting from south elevation. West entrance front has central pointed-arched doorway in moulded ashlar surround, with a wooden gabled porch which continues to the north and down the north side of the chapel as a lean-to covered walk. Above the porch, a 3-light chamfered million window above in the gable, a tiny Keyhole lancet. The west facade has two 4 light chamfered mullion windows, each light with a roundhead, then a flat buttress which rises to the bell turret. Beyond this, an oriel window with 4 chamfered mullioned lights. The east gable has a 4 light reticulated tracery pointed arched window. The interior contains many fine Arts and Craft fittings, including a perpendicular style rood screen by E Guy Dawbar, decorated ceiling plaster work by George Bankart, a painted wooden altar piece by John Cooke, and stained glass in the east window by Louis Davis. The remainder of the fittings include pulpit, pews and choir stalls, probably also by Dawbar, and pendant light fittings. The chapel, which was never consecrated is the only church designed by Dawber. The chapel stands upon a massive retaining wall, itself constructed of massive blocks of limestone, laid roughly to courses. The wall extends 45 metres to the west, and incorporates a stone water trough, and 10 metres to the east, it forms a boundary wall which encloses the approach to the chapel.

------------------------------------

SK 25 NE ST JOHN'S ROAD 6/1A (OFF CLIFF ROAD)

Chapel of St John the Baptist

II

Chapel,1897 designed by E Guy Dawber. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Graduated slate roof with a single moulded ashlar coped gable to the east with kneelers and finials. Single cell chapel with small square bell turret projecting from north facade. West entrance front has central pointed arched doorway in moulded ashlar surround, with wooden gabled porch which continues to the left and down the side of the chapel as a lean-to covered walk. Above the porch a 3 light chamfered mullion window,above in the gable a tiny key-hole lancet. The west facade has 2,4- light chamfered mullion windows, each light with a round head then a flat buttress which rises to the bell turret and beyond an oriel window with 4 chamfered mullioned lights. The east front has a 4 light reticulated tracery pointed arched window. The interior contains many fine Arts and Crafts fittings,a Perpendicular style rood scream by E Guy Dawber,plaster ceiling by George Bankart, painted wooden altar piece by John Cooke. The remainder of the fittings include pulpit pews and choir stalls are probably also by Dawber.

-------------------------------------------

1. ST JOHN'S ROAD 1390 MATLOCK BATH

Chapel of St John the Baptist SK 2959 4/111 C

2. 1897. Architect, Sir Guy Dawber. Early English Gothic style in the manner of Bodley. Of uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings, surmounting, and flanked by, massive retaining walls. Nave, chancel, spire, belleote and west loggia. In a picturesque set-ring on the side of the cliff.

Listing NGR: SK2942659416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429658
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].