CHURCH OF ST PATRICK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1248182
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, KIMBERLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PATRICK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248182.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:02:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, KIMBERLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Broxtowe (District Authority)
Parish:
Nuthall
National Grid Reference:
SK 51475 44473

Details

SK 54 SW NUTHALL KIMBERLEY ROAD (north side)

5/49 Church of St. Patrick 13.10.66 G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18. Restored 1838. Re-roofed 1858 and 1884. Restored and vestry and organ chamber added by James Fowler, 1884. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar. Slate gabled and copper and lead lean-to roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths, coped gables with kneelers and crosses, crenellated octagonal side wall stack. West tower, nave, north aisle, 2 vestries and organ chamber, chancel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C18, 2 stages, has string course and crenellated parapet. First stage has to west, C13 doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Above, restored double lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. Second stage has to north and south 2 chamfered openings. To west, 3 similar stepped openings. To east, a similar divided opening. North aisle, 3 bays, has a diagonal buttress to west. West end has C15 triple lancet with panel tracery. North side has 2 similar double lancets flanking vestry. Vestry, 1974, has casement and door to west and 2 casements to east. Organ chamber has sill band and 2 diagonal buttresses. North tgable has Decorated double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Vestry, 1884, lean-to, has a diagonal buttress. North side has doorway. East side has C15 style double lancet with hood mould. Chancel, late C14, 2 bays, has sill band at east end with gargoyle finials. East end has triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has off-centre buttress flanked by single restored late C14 double lancets with Decorated tracery and square reveals. Nave, late C14, 4 bays, has 4 buttresses. South side has 3 double lancets with Decorated tracery and square reveals. South porch, rebuilt C19, has to south, pair of flanking buttresses and depressed moulded arched doorway with hood mould. Above, C19 lamp with ornate bracket. Interior has 2 stone benches and common rafter roof. C14 inner doorway has cove moulding with fleurons, shafts, and hood mould with crowned mask stops. Double chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, has half-round responds. North arcade, c.1400, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and double chamfered and rebated arches with beast mask stops. South side has to east, C14 piscina. 2 C20 stained glass windows. Purl in roof with arch braces. North aisle west end has C19 stained glass. East end has C14 tomb recess and C19 archway with C20 traceried screen. North side has blocked central lancet. C19 lean-to roof. Double chamfered and rebated chancel arch, C14, has to its left, blocked squint. Early C15 traceried wooden screen with cresting. North side has to west, recess containing organ in Gothic case, 1871. East end has traceried panelled War Memorial reredos, 1949, and late C15 stained glass window, re-sited 1853. South side has to east, C14 double piscina. To west, window with 4 late C15 stained glass shields. Purlin roof with arch braces. Memorials include moulded recess containing ashlar table and alabaster effigy to Sir Robert Cokefield, c.1392. Incised slabs C13 and 1558. Slate wall tablets, 1699 and 1710. Larger slate tablet with apron, 1736, and shield-shaped marble and slate tablet, 1786. 5 marble and slate tablets, C19. 4 late C19 brasses. Marble and alabaster War Memorial tablet c.1918. Fittings include C19 traceried octagonal pulpit and lectern. Octagonal font, 1886. Benches with shaped ends, 1884. Stalls and desks, 1939. Prayer desks, 1949.

Listing NGR: SK5147544473

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429733
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/59098
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/59096

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12808/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Christine Keighley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].