CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248224.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:16:49.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Broxtowe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 50650 42090
SK 54 SW STRELLEY MAIN STREET
5/59 Church of All Saints 13.10.66 G.V. I
Parish church. C13, rebuilt 1356-c.1400 by Samson de Strelley. Clerestorey C15. Restored c.1850 by G. G. Place and 1895 by Hodgson Fowler. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar. Lead roofs. Chamfered, moulded eaves band, crenellated parapets and gables. West tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, chancel, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has a small central buttress on each side. 2 string courses. Pyramid roof with weathercock. First stage has to south, 2 chamfered lancets, the upper one smaller. To west, similar lancet and stair light. Second stage has on each side, remains of blocked C13 double lancet with trefoil head and hood mould. To south, clock. Third stage has on each side, double lancet opening with Tudor arched head and hood mould. Clerestorey, 3 bays, has on each side 3 untraceried triple lancets, restored, with continuous hood mould. North aisle, 3 bays, has 2 plain buttresses plus diagonal buttress to west. North side has to east, 2 cusped untraceried double lancets with square headed reveals. To west, blocked chamfered doorway. West end has a similar double lancet. South aisle has a central buttress flanked by single double lancets similar to north aisle. North transept has 2 diagonal buttresses to north. North gable has Decorated double lancet. East side has cusped ogee headed triple lancet with square headed reveal. Similar south transept has identical windows. Chancel, 2 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses at east end, 2 setoffs. North side has cusped ogee headed quadruple lancet, partly blocked at the foot, with square headed reveal. East end has restored quadruple lancet with ornate panel tracery and Tudor arched reveal with hood mould and mask stops. South side has to west, chamfered doorway and to right quadruple lancet similar to north side. Gabled south porch has slab roof with plain gable and cross. Pair of digonal buttresses to south, that to east with octagonal crenellated pinnacle. Chamfered south doorway. Interior has pointed barrel vault. 2 stone benches. Chamfered pointed inner doorway. Chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, has mask imposts. Tower chamber has painted wall panelling and stained glass west window. Nave arcades, 3 bays, have octagonal piers with broached bases and moulded capitals. Rebated arches have mask imposts. Clerestory windows have patterned stained glass. Low pitched C19 roof with arch braces and wall shafts. Aisles have C19 lean-to roofs with arch braces. East ends have chamfered arches and C20 traceried screens. North aisle has west window with stained glass fragments from clerestorey, 1913. North side windows have stained glass panels C16 and C17, installed 1897. East end has fireplace with hood on corbels. Chancel has rebated arch and outstanding late C14 ogee headed tracered screen with restored crest and rood. Painted wall panelling throughout. East end has traceried C20 reredos with figures, and stained glass window by Burlison andGrylls, 1914. South side has to east, C14 cusped piscina. Stained glass window, 1914. Low pitched C19 roof with arch braces, stencilled panels and text. Transepts have each a chamfered opening into chancel, each with traceried C20 screen. North transept east side has small C14 piscina and stained glass window, 1856. North window has late medieval stained glass fragments. South transept forming Edge Memorial chapel has panelled walls and to east, traceried panelled Memorial altar and reredos, 1918. East window has stained glass, C16 and C17. South window has stained glass, 1894. Both transepts have common rafter roofs. Fittings include font, C14, with plain octagonal bowl on traceried stand with ogee openings. Traceried octagonal oak pulpit on C19 ashlar base, with carved C17 back panel and sounding board. Carved C17 armchair. 2 sets of triple stalls, C15, with misericords. Late C19 traceried stalls with fleur de lys ends. Moulded C19 benches. C19 poor box on post. Monuments include alabaster chest tomb with frieze of angels with shields, carrying 2 full size figures, to Sir Samson de Strelley and wife, c,1400. Floor slab to John de Strelley, 1421. Brass to Sir Robert Strelley and wife, 1487. Alabaster chest tomb with traceried sides with shields, carrying 2 full size effigies, to John de Strelley, 1501. Ashlar canopy with square headed recess with frieze of angels and shields. Above, pierced crest and traceried panel with 3 tabernacles containing figures. Classical marble and slate tablet with obelisk, 1766, plain Classical tablet, 1803, bordered tablet, 1931 and oval tablet 1978, all to Edge family.
Listing NGR: SK5065142090
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing