CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1248243
Date first listed:
26-Oct-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248243.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:05:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
South Darley
National Grid Reference:
SK 26771 61495

Details

SK 26 SE 668/10/151 26/10/72

WENSLEY Church of St Mary

II

Anglican church. 1845, enlarged in 1880 and 1885. Designed by Joseph Mitchell, architect of Sheffield, extensions by his son, J.B. Mitchell-Withers, architect of Sheffield. Neo-Romanesque style. Ashlar gritstone and rock-faced coursed gritstone beneath a Welsh slated roof. PLAN: Simple linear plan, comprised of west tower, nave with vestry extension to north, and sanctuary to east with parish room below. Tower with entrance to west elevation. Narrow 3-stage structure with clasping buttresses to first stage. Semi-circular arched doorway, with 2 orders of attached shafts with cushion capitals and moulded arch with billet and beakhead ornament. Towards upper part of first stage, a panel of blind intersecting arcading. Clock face above. Second stage with triple lancets with semi-circular arched heads. Bell stage with wide semicircular arch, with 2-light window set within. Shallow pyramidal roof with stepped ashlar stonework to slopes. Nave gables with ashlar dog-tooth decoration to verges. 4 bays, rising from a shallow stepped plinth, and with clasping buttresses to each corner. North side with single semi-circular headed lancet to each bay, with flanking attached shafts with cushion capitals beneath hood moulds with grotesque head stops. Substantial cill band. Gabled vestry extends northwards at junction of nave and sanctuary extension, and has tall octagonal chimney and door and window openings with moulded surrounds. South side similarly detailed, with buttress at junction of nave and sanctuary. Change of ground level allows basement parish room with 2 bay sanctuary above at east end. East gable with stepped 3 light window, set within tall, wide semi-circular arch headed recess with moulded surround. INTERIOR: The interior has been subjected to several phases of change, and the most notable fixture is the stained glass in the east window, designed by Burne-Jones, and made by Morris and Co in 1891. They commemorate Joseph Taylor, a local benefactor.

Listing NGR: SK2677161495

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429820
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/03916/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Julie Woodhouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].