CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1249386
Date first listed:
22-Apr-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, NEWBEGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249386 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:24:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, NEWBEGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hornsea
National Grid Reference:
TA 20098 47639

Details

TA 24 NW HORNSEA NEWBEGIN (north side)

11/30 Church of Saint Nicholas

22.4.65 GV I

Church. C13 nave and aisles, late C13 tower, altered and enlarged late C14 and C15, restored by Scott 1865-7. Cobbles with freestone dressings. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch (formerly with south chapel), 4- bay chancel with north and south aisled chapels and eastern crypt. West tower: 3 stages, embraced by westward extension of nave aisles. Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, chamfered strings. Pointed openings with Y-tracery under hoodmoulds to 2nd and 3rd stages. Crenellated parapet with eight crocketed pinnacles. Pointed double-chamfered west door under stopped hoodmould. Four-light west window with Perpendicular tracery under 4-centred arch. Nave: 3 buttresses with offsets to westward extension of aisles. 2 grouped lancets to west; similar window to east in blocked pointed chamfered opening to former south chapel. Clerestory: 3-light pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Low parapet with moulded coping. Pointed south door under oblong hoodmould with blank trefoils and mouchettes to spandrels. Chancel: moulded plinth, corner buttresses, 3 grouped lancets to south aisle. East bay (added 1430) has five-light pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery to north and south walls. Clerestory: three 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery. Seven- light pointed east window with Perpendicular tracery. Low parapet with crocketed pinnacles and cross finial to coped gable. Interior: triple- chamfered tower arches to north and south. North and south nave arcades of pointed arches with continuous double chamfers: the north on high bases, the south on similar, lower, bases. Pointed chancel arch with continuous fluted mouldings dying into plain bases. Chancel: pointed arches to north and south arcades with continuous chamfer and scrolled hoodmould on high moulded base. Giant blank pointed arches with continuous chamfer enclosing clerestory windows. Crypt, of unknown date, below east bay reached by spiral stair from north choir aisle and small door with shouldered arch (perhaps a former window) beneath east window of chancel. Fireplace with rebated opening under segmental arch to north wall; inserted early C19 double brick vault. Early C13 octagonal font, each face with blank paired lancets in low relief, to nave west end. Memorials: north nave aisle, east end: C13 recumbent effigy in secular clothing. From the church of Saint Giles, Goxhill. Recumbent effigies of a knight and lady from the church of Saint Helena and Saint Mary Magdalene, Nunkeeling; late C13. Chancel south aisle, east end: alabaster tomb chest to Revd. Anthony St. Quintin, died 1430. Sides with blank shields in quatrefoils, remains of inscription to edge of covering slab. This is covered in early graffiti, including large numbers of 'footprints'.

Listing NGR: TA2010247642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431492
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01053/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]rg.uk.