CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1249564
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 14:08:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Fivehead
National Grid Reference:
ST 35268 22886

Details

ST32SE FIVEHEAD CP FIVEHEAD VILLAGE

4/44 Church of St. Martin

17.4.59

GV I

Anglican parish church, C13, C15; C19 and early C20 restorations. Lias rubble, predominantly coursed and squared, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs to coped verges with cruciform finials, crested ridge to chancel. Predominantly Early English and Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch, west tower. Three-stage embattled tower with corner pinnacles, gargoyles, diagonal buttresses with offsets, topping polygonal stair-turret, 2-light bell chamber windows with tracery, stone grilles, 2 and 3-light ringing-chamber windows, tracery, stone grilles; gargoyles; large transomed 5-light west window with good tracery, ogee-arched west doorway in moulded surround, leaf spandrels; paired studded plank doors. Three bay nave, Perpendicular 3-light windows to the north. Three bay aisle, traceried 3-light windows, Perpendicular, except west window with reticulated tracery, C19 gabled porch; 2 bay chancel, 2-light square headed windows, priest's door in a simple chamfered surround. Three-light east window of 3 stepped cusped lancets. C13 lancets to north. Interior plastered on flagstone floors wit good C18 memorials inset. Nave and chancel under plastered wagon roofs with ornamental ribs and bosses, aisle with collar-and-tile beam roof with archbracing. Perpendicular moulded tower and chancel arches; 4 bay arcade to aisle, piers with similar moulding, Piscina to aisle and former canopy of a niche, now blocked. Upper and lower entrances to rood with staircase. Cusped rere-arches to chancel. Norman tub font with cable banding. Projecting stone corbels that supported the former rood loft. Restored Jacobean table. Good Victorian High Gothic pulpit and lectern. Late C19 altar rails. Good Edwardian altar table and painted canvas plaques with figures of romanticised saints flanking east window. Simple pine pews. Four good early C19 wall monuments. On south wall a reset brass to Jane Walsh of 1565, reused from a C13 memorial, some work of that period remaining on the rear. Small Gothick cased organ. Fragments of medieval stained glass to chancel and aisle. Richly coloured Edwardian east window. Good stained glass window to aisle of 1930.

Listing NGR: ST3526622887

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431724
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/14861/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].