CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1249769
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, B 1243

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:19:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, B 1243

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sigglesthorne
National Grid Reference:
TA 15440 45666

Details

TA 14 NE SIGGLESTHORNE B 1243 (west side)

6/55 Church of Saint Lawrence 16.12.66 GV II*

Church. Early C13 west tower (restored 1616, 1763), C13 north and south nave arcades, north aisle and chancel of 1827. Restored by Pearson 1848. Cobbles and brick with stone dressings. Some ashlar, lead roofs. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and south chapel, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. West tower: low chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, chamfered string-courses. Lancet under hoodmould to 1st stage, central plaque to 2nd stage with inscription GG:TE and sundial, with bronze 1616 TA gnomon, of 1818. Belfry openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights with attached shafts and vesica over in enclosing pointed arch with attached shafts and roll moulding under hoodmould. Inscription (illegible) of 1763 to west elevation. Crenellated parapet. nave: 2 chamfered lancets to south aisle, 3 chamfered lancets to clerestory. C19 lancets to south chapel. South porch has mediaeval pointed door under hoodmould: plaque over records restoration of 1848. Chancel: lancet to west, paired lancets to east, all under hoodmoulds with foliage stops. Pointed priests' door under similar hoodmould with monarch head-stops. 4-light east window with reset late Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. Interior: early C13 north and south arcades, rebuilt C19. Waterholding bases, cylindrical piers, and attached shafts to responds, supporting pointed double-chamfered arches. Similar chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders on attached shafts. 3 wall monuments to members of the Gibson family in north aisle: George Gibson, died 1809: inscription with urn and willow leaves over, heraldic shield and laurel leaves beneath; Mathew Topham Gibson, died 1833, very similar (by T. Earle, of Hull); and Jane Richardson (nee Gibson) died 1839: inscription and obelisk with mourning figure (by Patric Park of London).

Listing NGR: TA1544045666

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431519
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03109/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Philip Hampel. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].