Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250030.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 17:06:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 72419 49751


WEST STREET TQ 74 NW HUNTON (South-east Side) 4/108 Church of St. Mary 23.5.67 GV I

Parish church. Late C11 or C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, and 1866. Restored 1876 by Ewan Christian. Uncoursed ragstone rubble with plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel with south chapel and north vestry. West tower: C13. No plinth. Divided into 3 roughly equal stages by flush ashlared stone bands. Diagonal north-west and south-west buttresses with chamfered stone plinths. Pyramidal spire clad with wood shingles. Weathervane. Single hollow- chamfered lancet to each face of belfry except east, and to north and south of second stage. Broader, doubly recessed shafted west lancet. Pointed-arched moulded west doorway with moulded hoodmould, and ribbed medieval door. Rectangular south-east stair turret with (re-used?) tufa quoins, shingled lean-to roof continued from spire and small triangular-headed south lancet. South aisle: C15. No plinth. South buttress. Plain stone-coped parapet. 2-light pointed-arched C15 west window and 2 square-headed C15 two-light windows to east of porch. South porch: c.1513. Broad and gabled, on chamfered stone plinth. Diagonal buttresses. Small chamfered rectangular light to east and west. 4-centred arched hollow-chamfered outer doorway in moulded rectangular architrave with carved spandrels and hoodmould. Cavetto- moulded pointed-arched inner doorway with squared moulded hoodmould and encircled quatrefoils to spandrels. Ribbed medieval inner door. Panelled and studded outer door. Moulded axial beam. Continuous stone benches. South chapel: C15, refaced or rebuilt in 1866. Snecked stone on chamfered stone plinth. 3 windows in a C15 style. Pointed-arched south doorway. Chancel: C13, possibly with late C11 or early C12 core. Projects slightly further than chapel. Channelled render to east end, with dressed stone plinth. 3-light C19 east window in a C15 style. Broad chamfered north lancet. North vestry: probably 1866. Snecked stone. 2 north lancets and pointed west doorway. Nave, north elevation: late C11 or C12. No plinth. Tufa quoins. Two late C13 or early C14 two-light north windows with tracery of uncusped quatrefoils and sexfoil, and with hoodmoulds. Central C15 three-light north window with tracery of vertical bars, and moulded hoodmould with angles to label stops. Part of a blocked round-headed tufa window to east of centre. Interior: structure: 3-bay C15 south arcade to nave of doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. C14 chancel arch with continuous chamfered outer order, and thick chamfered inner rib springing from semi-octagonal columns with moulded capitals. Tall pointed C13 tower arch with moulded imposts. C19 north and south arches to chancel and between south chapel and south aisle. Pointed cavetto-moulded rere-arches to west window of south aisle, and east window of south chancel chapel. Moulded and shafted arch to central window of north aisle. Moulded cambered rere-arches to south windows of south aisle. Broad chamfered lancet to south wall of chancel, blocked by chapel. Roof: 4 moulded octagonal crown-posts to nave on doubly hollow-chamfered tie-beams. Lean-to roof to south aisle, divided into square panels by butt purlins. Canted roof to chancel with C19 boarding. C19 scissor-braced roof to south chancel chapel. Fittings: Late C13 double sedile to east end of south wall of chancel, with attached pillar piscina across south- east corner, all with moulded Bethersden marble shafts and partly renewed cusped crocketed gables. Bell base and stiff-leaf capital to pillar of piscina. To west of sedile, hollow-chamfered east jamb of a cusped pointed arch. Octagonal font with traceried panelling. Fragments of medieval stained glass to central north window of nave. Monuments: white marble monument in south-west corner of nave (formerly in front of sedile) to Lady Anne Fane, d.1663; pedestal, central section of which breaks forwards, with inscription on raised panel. String of husks to narrow remaining panels of front. Moulded segmental pediment over cornice, with shield; 2 further shields set towards rear, and large gadrooned urn. White marble bust over south door to Henry Hatley, d.1716. Bust on tapering moulded plinth with shield to base. Tablet on south wall of south aisle to Thomas Turner, d.1776. Rectangular white marble tablet with black border, rectangular consoled plinth and beaded triangular pediment with antefixae. Tablet on south wall of south aisle to Thomas Durant Punnett, Gentleman, d.1785. Rectangular white marble tablet on a black marble ground with moulded consoled plinth incorporating shield, foliated side panels, moulded cornice with antefixae, surmounted by relief of mourner by urn. Erected 1812. Signed Regnart, Hampstead. Monument (dresser tomb) against north wall of chancel to Sir Thomas Fane of Buston, Knight, Lieutenant of Dover Castle, and wife, both d.1606. Alabaster chest tomb with tooled stone plinth and moulded Bethersden marble lid, festooned and trophied side panels and woman and child in relief. Recumbent alabaster figures of deceased above. Alabaster canopy with trophied Corinthian pilasters flanking coffered arch with rose flowers to soffit, and with gadrooned and moulded cornice. 2 obelisks and central corniced panel with achievements. Rectangular brass on north wall of chancel to Francis Fane, d.165(1?), with heraldic device to small top plate. Large white marble hanging monument spanning north-east corner of nave, to Thomas Fane, d.1692. Gesticulating bust on gadrooned pedestal, with mourning putti, flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters and outer inverted scrolls, and with moulded cornice arched over centre, surmounted by urns. Inscribed panel, with moulded plinth and gadrooned cornice, breaking forwards under bust, with fruited side panels. Diminishing gadrooned and foliated base with shield. Erected 1711. Possibly by Edward Stanton (J. Newman). Moulded and cusped C14 tomb recess to north wall of nave, with crocketed finial and carved heads to label stops. Plain white marble tablet on north wall of nave, to Sir Henry Campbell- Bannerman, d.1908. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TQ7238349757


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/16074/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D Godden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].