RICHMOND FOOTBRIDGE, LOCK AND SLUICES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1250044
Date first listed:
25-May-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Mar-1992
Statutory Address:
RICHMOND FOOTBRIDGE, LOCK AND SLUICES, RICHMOND LOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of RICHMOND FOOTBRIDGE, LOCK AND SLUICES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 17:51:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
RICHMOND FOOTBRIDGE, LOCK AND SLUICES, RICHMOND LOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)
National Park:
N/A
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17015 75056

Details

In the entry for:-

TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK

8/13 Richmond Footbridge

The entry shall be amended to read:-

TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK

8/13 Richmond Footbridge, lock and sluices

II*

Foot bridge incorporating lock and sluices. 1891, designed by the engineer F.G.M. Stoney (1837-97) who took out 7 patents relating to sluices between 1873 and 1894, but design of the lock-houses by the surveyors Hunt and Steward and ironwork by the firm of Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich. 2 parallel 5 arched bridges of cast iron supported by stone piers with brick and stone lock houses at each end. Each bridge has 5 flat arches of cast iron with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone piers have round-headed niches to keystones above pointed cutwaters. Elaborate cast iron balustrade with lamp standards positioned over centres of arches. On each bank the bridge is elevated on a brick base serving as a lock keepers cottage with stone dressings and double flight of steps. The overall span is of 348 feet. The central 66 feet spans incorporating 3 sluices which can be raised and stowed horizontally in the space between the 2 bridges. Beneath the outer spans, each of 50 feet were three parallel lines of rollers of which one now remains. the bridges carry public walkways (all closed at time of survey) and there is a toll booth of brick and weather boarding with fretted canopy at the upper level on the Surrey side. This bridge has considerable importance in the history of hydraulic engineering as Stoney first applied here the principal of the floating sluice gate and here pioneered his apparatus for turning the lifted gates into the horizontal position. These principals were later used in his Manchester Ship Canal (1894) and Aswan Dam (1902).

------------------------------------

1. 5028 RICHMOND LOCK

Richmond Footbridge TQ 1675 & 1775 8/13

II

2. 1894. Five-arched bridge in cast-iron upon stone piers. Ironwork by Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich and "Stoney's Patent" used for associated sluices. Two parallel bridges joined by blue brick piers. Each bridge 5 flat arches of cast-iron with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone piers with niches to keystones above cutwaters. Elaborate cast-iron balustrade. Lamp standards positioned over centres of arches. Bridge elevated on both banks upon brick and stone base with double flight of steps.

Listing NGR: TQ1701575056

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
432275
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].