WHITE CROSS HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1250279
Date first listed:
25-May-1983
Statutory Address:
WHITE CROSS HOTEL, RIVERSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITE CROSS HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 06:32:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITE CROSS HOTEL, RIVERSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17623 74689

Details

1. 5028 RIVERSIDE

White Cross Hotel TQ 1774 NE 20A/58

II GV

Public house, early-mid C19, with extension of late-C19 to the north-west.

EXTERIOR: The early section of the brick building, dating from the 1820s or 1830s, has two main river frontages to the south-east and to the south-west, each of three storeys and three bays. The former has canted single storey bay windows on either side of central porch; the latter has one single storey bay window to right of the doorway with a stucco surround. The raised ground floor is stuccoed and there is a broad moulded string course, painted white, in between the second and third storeys. To the north-west is a stuccoed late C19 extension of two storeys and two bays, with an iron canopied balcony to the upper storey, and to the north-east is a lean-to single storey extension of the same date. There are two entrances to the building in the middle bay of each elevation and these signify the building as having origins as a public house, rather than a domestic building: that to the south-west is a grand Doric portico reached by a flight of stone steps which retain their C19 railings; that to the south-east is flanked by a pair of pilasters and also reached by steps running alongside the building. The hipped roof is partially concealed by the raised parapet which is painted white on the south-east elevation and bears C20 lettering.

INTERIOR: The pub retains a coherent C19 interior with many original features including a stone surround to an unusually-placed fireplace underneath a window, a mantelshelf, the central bar including over-bar with sliding sashes (a rare feature) and back bar, cornices, a deep-moulded picture rail, architraves and an early C19 staircase with simple moulded newel posts and stick balusters. The original division of the space is readable in the ceiling beams which indicate the smaller rooms the ground floor once comprised, which would have offered public saloons, private rooms for customers and space for off-sales of alcohol. The rooms on the first floor retain some early C19 panelling, doors, architraves, cornices and a single fireplace with original grate and wooden surround in a fluted design with classical paterae.

HISTORY: The White Cross Hotel, like the terrace alongside it, dates from the 1820s or 1830s. The two entrances, its corner position and its location on a travelling route near the bridge, suggest it was built as a public house; it is marked 'PH' on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map for Middlesex in 1881. Between 1881 and 1896 the building was extended to the north-west although its footprint, and much of the interior, has changed little since.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This public house dating from the 1820s or 1830s survives well: the principal elevations are largely unchanged, although some of the windows have been replaced, and include some good features including a Doric portico reached by stone steps. The pub is an important component of this historic stretch of riverside and has group value with the listed terrace alongside it (Grade II) and Richmond Bridge of 1777 (Grade I). The interior is also strong and there is a good degree of survival relating to the building's use as a public house from the early-mid C19, including relatively rare sliding sashes; the interior survival overall is of note as many pubs were rebuilt or converted in the great boom of pub building in the later C19 or have been refurbished in the century thereafter.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
432568
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16370/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].