CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1250737
Date first listed:
07-Aug-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, DEWSBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250737.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:04:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, DEWSBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27189 25046

Details

SE22NE WF12 DEWSBURY ROAD SE272250 MORLEY (east side), Woodkirk

2/79 Church of St. Mary 7.8.64

GV II

Church. Late C12 tower embattled c1911, nave rebuilt c1832 retaining inner medieval walls, chancel rebuilt and extended c1834 by Joseph Furness, a local mason. Large dressed stone to tower, hammr.dressed stone to body of church with stone slate roof. Gothic Revival style. West tower, nave, chancel, 3-stage embattled tower has battered plinth, roll-moulded strings. West face has lancet window to 1st stage, clock to 2nd stage and 2 light plate tracery belfry windows recessed inside elliptical arches and having colonnettes with cushion-headed capitals. Battlements have corner pinnacles. Weathervane. Earlier steeply-pitched roofline visible on east-face. Nave has 3 bays of 2-light windows with trefoil heads and curvilinear tracery. Between 1st two bays gabled porch c1911. North facade of nave has 3 semicircular relieving arches, possibly from earlier church to aisle arcade now gone, blocked with 2-light traceried windows as front. Chancel set back from nave but roofed continuously has 5 bays. lst-bay has 3-light window with intersecting Y-tracery. Other windows of 2 lights as nave. Priests' door in 5th bay with small Y-traceried window above. On North facade of chancel, set between 1st and 2nd bay, priests' door with pointed-arch and oak studded door. 5-light east window with intersecting Y-tracery. small added north vestry gabled and at right angles with chimney and coped gable.

Interior: single vessel, the nave separated from chancel by semicircular arch. Oldest feature the tower arch: 2-centred with inner arch with chamfered octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Moulded plaster cornice, flat ceiling with rose c1830s. Chancel retains fine Jacobean pulpit of good work, octagonal with interlaced guillouche decoration and arcaded panels. Fine reused C15 bench ends to choir-stalls with carved rectilinear tracery and good carved poppy-heads. Vestry has walls panelled with remains of finely carved C17 box-pews. Window above Priests' door made up of fragments of medieval stained glass. Other C19 stained glass memorial windows. Some memorials from earlier church, the best to Christopher Hodgson c1726. Royal Coat of Arms (on canvas) to George I.

Mentioned in Domesday Book c1086 and was granted by William, 2nd Earl Warenne, between 1121 and 1127 to the newly-forwed Priory of Augustinian Canons at Nostell. The Canons set up a small cell serving Woodkirk Church until the Dissolution in 1539 when it later fell into the hands of the Saviles.

Excavations have revealed a courtyard over 50ft square with adjacent buildings. There was also a garden, an orchard and a stone dovecote with fishponds below the church which served as reservoirs for the watermills. St. Michael's, East Ardsley (q.v.) was a chapel dependent on Woodkirk.

Joan Thomas, St. Mary's Woodkirk (undated church leaflet).

Listing NGR: SE2718925046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433199
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Domesday Book

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13334/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard W E Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].