This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1250771



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clyst St. George

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 86200

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CLYST ST GEORGE SX 98 NE 2/64 PYTTE HOUSE Nos 1-6 (inclusive)


House, divided into 6 tenements. 1911 remodelling and extension by S Gambier Parry for Anthony Gibbs, of a late C18 or early C19 house with earlier origins. Rendered brick, the earlier parts are rendered probably stone or cob. Plain tile roof with gabled ends and deep sprocketted eaves. Tall ahslar arial and end stacks with moulded cornices. Vernacular revival style remodelling. Plan: A circa late C19 illustration shows a C18 or early C19 2-storey, 4-bay house with a verandah and with a service wing set back to the left (west). In 1911 the house was considerably remodelled and extended by the addition of a long range across the south front with an entrance and stairhall at the right hand end and an arial corridor along the back of the range leading to a large room in a wing set back from the left hand end, said to be the library. The rear right hand wing and the other parts at the back much altered in 1911 are all that remain of the old house, except for the late C19 service wing behind the left hand end. In the mid to late C20 the house was divided into 6 tenements. It is doubtful whether fabric of the late C16 house survives. Exterior: 2-storeys and attic. Long asymmetrical 1911 front range of approx- imately 6 windows wide with a short projecting wing at the left hand end with a 2-storey canted bay with large mullion-transom windows and a gable above with a small 4-light attic window. Another smaller gabled projection to the right of centre with 2 gabled dormers to the right and another to the left. All the gables are decorated with small rectangular or diamond shaped panels containing terracotta circles. The variously proportioned windows all have their original oak mullion and transomed frames and leaded panes, some of the ground floor windows are garden doors. There is a wing set back at the left hand end, its left hand (west) side has a gable to the right and a large 2-storey canted bay window to the left. The right hand entrance side incorporates an earlier, possibly late C18 or early C19 wing with 2 large 12-pane sashes; the porch at the centre has a timber-frame gable and a round arch, the inner door has wrought iron hinges, one inscribed "A G 1900". The very irregular rear (north) elevation has a long late C19 service wing to the right (west) and much altered late C18 or early C19 parts at the centre and to the left with some circa early C19 12-pane sashes. Interior: was probably much altered when converted into 6 tenements although at the right hand (east) end the early C20 open-well staircase has been retained with its turned ballisters and in the room in front there is a Tudor style stone fireplace. Pytte was the seat of the Gibb family. In 1560 John Gibb bought it from Thomas, Lord Wentworth. It remained with the Gibbs family until the C20 when Anthony Gibbs greatly enlarged and remodelled the house in 1911; the architect Sidney Gambier Parry was articled for Sir Arthur Blomfield. Source: Unpublished family history in the possession of E M Gibbs.

Listing NGR: SX9841889204

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 98418 89204


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 06:13:41.

End of official listing