Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250935.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:55:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 15862 51333


HENLEY CHURCH LANE TM 15 SE 4/118 Church of St. Peter 9.12.55 - I Parish church, mediaeval with extension and restoration of mid C19. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. A parish room was added to the north side c.1860. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs; a parapet gable at the east end. The late C13 south nave doorway reuses billet-and chevron-carved voussoirs from a late C12 arch, and in the jamb is a well- carved foliate capital from a nook shaft, no doubt from the same arch. Other C13 work includes a plain north doorway, cusped pointed windows in the chancel, with matching piscina and dropped cill sedilia with squinches, and a little arched aumbry in the north wall. Arched upper and lower doorways from the destroyed roodloft stairs may perhaps be of C13 also. Canted and ceiled nave roof is of C15 or earlier (the chancel roof was rebuilt C19, but with the previous C15 moulded cornice refixed). The C15 south porch has a moulded doorway with image niche above (now containing a C19 figure of SC. Peter), and side windows of splayed gault brick. Beside the porch is an inserted C15 grotesque corbel, perhaps taken from elsewhere in the building. C15 inner south door with original ironmongery; other C15 alterations include 2 large north windows. Over the west doorway of the tower is a panel of freestone with a fine carved frieze incorporating an inscription to Thomas Seckford (died 1505). This is the probable commencement date for the tower. The doorway has shields in the spandrels, and above is a large west window. The upper stage of tower has much fabric of red brick suggesting a 2nd phase. Diagonal buttresses have flushwork panels with crocketed heads. Lionhead gargoyles. In the south nave wall is a fine terracotta window of c.1525, one of an important group commissioned by Sir Philip Booth of Shrubland Old Hall, Coddenham whose private chapel has two windows by the same Italian craftsman. Above the window is a panel bearing a pair of dolphins, below is a frieze with delicately moulded heraldry, and on the jambs and mullions are arabesques and other enrichment. The east window is of C19 in the C14 manner. In the nave is a wall tablet to Mrs. Elizabeth Vere (wife of John), d.1717. Two floor slabs in the sanctuary of 1673 and 1682, and two more in the nave of 1713 and 1793. On the nave wall are three C17/C18 painted coats of arms of Lozenge form. For details of the terracotta window and for comparable examples, Brick Building in England; J.A. Wright: 1972.

Listing NGR: TM1586251333


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Wright, J A , Brick Building in England from the Middle Ages to 1550, (1972)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09216/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. C. A Seinet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].