Otham Manor


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Otham Manor, Otham Street


Ordnance survey map of Otham Manor
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 17:24:00.


Statutory Address:
Otham Manor, Otham Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 79747 53504


TQ 75 SE 3/233 OTHAM OTHAM STREET (west side) Otham Manor (formerly listed as Wardes)


GV I House, formerly cottages, now house. Late C14 with C16 alterations and additions. Restored circa 1912 by Sir Louis Mallet. Timber framed, with plaster infilling. Plain tile roof.

Late C14 Wealden, built at right-angles to road, with two almost equal-length open hall bays and storeyed end bay to south. Storeyed north (right) end bay either completely rebuilt, or with first floor and roof rebuilt slightly later. Late C16 timber-framed rear wing running west from west end of north bay, which it slightly overlaps. Addition of c.1912 to north side of wing. Two storeys, on stone plinth. Broadly-spaced close-studding to left (south) end bay, with two tension braces to front, gable end and rear. More broadly-spaced studding to hall. Ground floor, and central panel of first floor of right end bay close-studded, with pair of small ogee braces under eaves to each end of bay. Right and left end bays jettied to front, jetties returning on moulded dragon posts. Left end bay further jettied, partly underbuilt, to rear. Arch-braced flying wall-plate to front and rear of hall, front left-hand brace springing from small moulded wooden corbel. Bracket under central tie-beam.

Roof of main range hipped to left, with gablet. Roof of right end bay incorporated with C16 wing, hipped to front with gablet, and with higher eaves than main range. Wing gabled to rear. Projecting stone stack with brick flue to left gable end. Flush louvre in roof to left end of hall. Multiple brick ridge stack towards rear of C16 wing. Irregular fenestration of three windows; one four-light leaded casement to left end bay, one three-light leaded casement to right end bay, and diamond mullion window to left hall bay, of eight lights above and eight below midrail. Similar window to rear of hall. Boarded door with durns to right end of hall, and similar doorway to rear.

Interior not inspected.

This is an important early example of a building type and is graded accordingly.

Listing NGR: TQ7974753504


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 30 August, (1919)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14038/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Archer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].