- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HIGH HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250944 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 22:05:07.
- Statutory Address:
- HIGH HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 08606 50248
TM 05 SE
2/125 High Hall
House, probably c.1620-30 for William Foorth. Fragmentary C16 core; and
alterations of c.1930 by H. Munroe Cautley, A.R.I.B.A. The main block is
unusual for C17 in being of double-pile form and 3 storeys with attics. Red
brick in English bond. 2-span plaintiled roof, some ends being hipped with
gablets. C17 chimneys of red brick with triple octagonal shafts, much
restored C20. A number of original windows have ovolo-moulded mullions and
transomes of brick, most also have moulded pediments; fragments of the
original plasterwork remain, this being used at all the openings in imitation
of dressed limestone. Fine original entrance porch of brick, now 2 storeys
high; the 3rd storey has been removed. Tuscan pilasters in plaster frame the
round-headed doorway, which was probably open until insertion of C20 boarded
and battened aoor. The inner doorway has an original door, framed with sunk
panels, with good ironmongery. The main parlour has complete C17 wainscotting,
and an open fireplace of plaster simulating sconework, with carved oak
pilasters and arcaaing above. Moulded plasterwork to ceiling beams and
cornice. The "new" hall and several other rooms have good open fireplaces; 2
chambers have moulded plasterwork. The additional block behind is primarily a
staircase tower, with a second parlour. The staircase has 7 flights, with
channelled newels (formerly with ball finials) and widely-spaced turned
balusters. The C16 timber-framed and plastered range, to which the main
building was attached, is underbuilt in C17 brick; further major alterations
to this range, in false half-timbering, c.1930. For further details, East
Anglian Miscellany, 1922, No.6257. Suffolk Houses: Sandon: 1977.
Listing NGR: TM0860650248
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977)
'East Anglian Miscellany' in East Anglian Miscellany, , Vol. 6257, (1922)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.