ACRISE PLACE AND ACRISE COURT
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ACRISE PLACE AND ACRISE COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250981 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 06:59:18.
- Statutory Address:
- ACRISE PLACE AND ACRISE COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shepway (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TR 19324 42196
TR 14 SE ACRISE
4/1 Acrise Place 27.8.52 and Acrise Court
GV II *
Country house, now house pair. C16, circa 1677, and circa 1791-94, restored in 1950s and 1987. North elevation C16 brick in English bond, to most of elevation, with stone or rendered dressings and with traces of diaper work and areas of superimposed tuck pointing. South elevation red brick in a Flemish-type bond, also with vestiges of tuck pointing. East end buff brick. Plain tile roofs. Two parallel ranges; C16 north- facing range, and south-facing south range of circa 1677, extending further to west, and altered 1791-94. Two storeys and attics, south range taller than north. North elevation: moulded rendered plinth. C18 modillioned wooden eaves cornice, continued round bay windows and porch. Roof, which returns north from east end of south range, is hipped down to north range roof. West end gabled, with gable-end stack. Skylight over stairwell to west of centre. Four flat-roofed dormers with sash windows. Irregular fenestration of 7 mullioned windows; one two-storey canted brick bay to east end with four-light window with side lights and with hoodmould, one three-light window with hoodmould, one two-light without hoodmould to first floor of porch, then two three- light and one two-light without hoodmoulds, and a canted brick bay formed in late C18 from an earlier chimney brest, fenestrated in imitation of left canted bay. Ground-floor windows similar, but taller and each with one transom. First-floor windows formerly transomed, now each with horizontal glazing bar; ground-floor windows formerly had three transoms each. Two-storey brick porch to east of centre, with stone or painted quoins, flat roof, and plain-chamfered four-centred- arched outer doorway with squared hoodmould. Graffiti dates and initials, including 1598, 1620 and 1649. Half-glazed and panelled inner door. Lead rainwater hopper. South elevation: moulded rendered plinth. Rendered plat band. Unrendered hollow-chamfered string-course above first-floor windows. Ionic-modillioned wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof. Several rear stacks. Five late C18 flat-roofed dormers with sashes. Regular late C18 eleven-window front of recessed nine- pane sashes with thin glazing bars, and stone-like moulded and corniced architraves and plain consoles. Similar, twelve-pane, ground-floor sashes. Half-glazed double doors with moulded wooden architrave and moulded cornice, under fifth window from right. Porch spanning door and one window each side, breaking forwards over door, on wooden Ionic columns, with moulded and finely-dentilled cornice, flat roof, and black and white marble floor. Lead rainwater hoppers. East end: gable ends of both ranges concealed by two conjoined two-storey late- C18 bows, on low stone plinth, with plain plat band and moulded (but unmodillioned) cornice. Each bow has three twelve-pane first-floor sashes similar to those of south elevation, and three early-C20 ground- floor French doors. West end: short, narrow red brick wing in Flemish bond running south from west elevation of south range, and extant by late C18; two storeys and attic, with plinth, plat band to each storey, cornice to east side continued from main range, gabled roof with south end stack, and two recessed twelve-pane attic sashes to gable end. Late C18 wing, replacing a timber-framed range, set back and running west from west gable end of north range; red and grey brick in Flemish bond, with plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attic. Plat band. Roof hipped to west. Two flat-roofed dormers. Regular 6-window front of twelve-pane sashes in open boxes, with cambered heads and splayed rubbed brick voussoirs. Interior: south range: largely late-C18 decoration. Semi-elliptical entrance hall with parquet floor, and cantilevered geometrical staircase with moulded cheeks, stick balusters formerly linked, and wreathed rail with star inlay. Husked borders to ground-floor ceiling, enriched plinth to landing balusters, and moulded and modillioned first-floor cornice. Two round-headed Adamesque recesses to rear (north) wall on first floor, that to east containing secret curved door. Circular relief of festooned nymphs to rear wall. Ground-floor room to east has enriched panelling, festooned frieze, finely-dentilled cornice and florettes to ceiling frieze. Festooned urn in light relief over fireplace. White marble fireplace with nymphs and cupids. West ground-floor room has fluted frieze with florettes, guilloche ceiling frieze, C18 fireplace, and glazed library shelves. Narrow west end room has eared and enriched fireplace. Moulded and enriched first-floor cornices and skirting- boards. Panelled doors, principal doors with corniced architraves. Panelled window-shutters. North range: enriched frieze and eared fireplace to east first-floor room. Eared fireplace, panelled dado and moulded cornice to west first-floor room. C18 attic fireplaces. Internal first-floor door with semi-circular fanlight with radiating glazing bars. Built by Hamon family in C16. Acquired by Papillon family in 1666 and owned by them, except 1861-1950, until mid 1980s. See also Item4/2(Country Life 8th and 15th August 1957. J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North-east and East Kent, 1983 edn.)
Listing NGR: TR1932642194
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)
'Country Life' in 15 August, (1957)
'Country Life' in 8 August, (1957)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing